* Re: [9fans] Intall Report
@ 2002-04-30 18:32 David Gordon Hogan
From: David Gordon Hogan @ 2002-04-30 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Initial messages were something to
> do with South Bridge that still does come up
> when boot from floppy.

Once again, that message is just a warning, and Plan 9
should work fine in spite of it.  On most systems, that is:
occaisionally we run into a BIOS that doesn't set up the
PCI interrupts correctly, and we try to compensate.  We
can only compensate if we know about the specific
south bridge, though, and the warning merely means
that we've encountered a `new' south bridge that we
don't support.  It does not necessarily mean that there
is anything wrong with the interrupts as set up by the BIOS!

I'll try to change the message to be less frightening...

BTW, I recently made some changes in this area to
work around a problem with the BIOS on some Sony
VAIOs.  The BIOS for these machines was setting the
IRQ on one of the USB controllers to the wrong value.
We now deal with this as well as the case where the BIOS
leaves the interrupt line register in PCI config space as zero.

* [9fans] Intall Report
@ 2002-04-30  9:35 balajis
From: balajis @ 2002-04-30  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi All,
Congrats on another excellent release.

Machine used:
1.6 Ghz P4 w/ 512 MB DDRam.
Shuttle AV40 MB with Via chipset
Symbios Logic based Tekram DC-390U card
Panasonic SCSI CDROM
Seagate 18GB SCSI drive
ATI Xpert 98 video
floppy
3 button mouse

along with M$ W2k installed.

Created CD with with bzip2 package on M$,
created boot floppy from web site and went
to work.

Initial messages were something to
do with South Bridge that still does come up
when boot from floppy.

Install first time, when copying from CDROM was
very slow with 3 I/O errors and fail.

Continued again with "CopyFiles" option and this
time ultra fast and successful.

Boot with floppy and all fine!
Video running 1024 x 768 x 8.

Overall, excellent! Great Job guys!