* [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-15 20:09 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-15 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

has anyone else had a sheevaplug go catatonic?
mine reset yesterday and now no longer responds
to the usb/serial interface and the ethernet lights
are stuck.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-16 19:37 ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2011-01-16 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Is it configured to use a serial console? Tried checking the output there?
What's the output from uBoot, if any? As a last resort, tried re-flashing
it over JTAG?

--On Saturday, January 15, 2011 15:09 -0500 erik quanstrom
<quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> has anyone else had a sheevaplug go catatonic?
> mine reset yesterday and now no longer responds
> to the usb/serial interface and the ethernet lights
> are stuck.
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-16 19:41   ` erik quanstrom
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-16 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Jan 16 14:38:27 EST 2011, eris.discordia@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it configured to use a serial console? Tried checking the output there?

yes.  that's how i set it up to pxe from the auth server.

> What's the output from uBoot, if any? As a last resort, tried re-flashing
> it over JTAG?

no output from uboot at all.  no output of any kind.

i haven't cracked the case.  does anyone know if there's
a jtag port at all in a sheevaplug?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-16 19:55     ` Gorka Guardiola
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2011-01-16 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

Yes there is :-). It is another endpoint in the usb. I would try going at it with openocd. My jtag driver doesn't do reflashing yet.

-
Curiosity sKilled the cat

G.

@ 2011-01-16 19:57 ` Lluís Batlle i Rossell
From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell @ 2011-01-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 03:09:50PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> has anyone else had a sheevaplug go catatonic?
> mine reset yesterday and now no longer responds
> to the usb/serial interface and the ethernet lights
> are stuck.

After one year of working, in mine some power supply capacitors blew up.
I replaced them, and it worked again.
After two months, more old capacitors of the power supply blew up.

When I had all replaced, it worked again, and I've not had any problem since
then. It even stays less warm than before.

Regards,
Llu�s.

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-16 20:00     ` Lluís Batlle i Rossell
From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell @ 2011-01-16 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 02:41:57PM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> i haven't cracked the case.  does anyone know if there's
> a jtag port at all in a sheevaplug?

There is. I've used it to debug Linux boots with openocd.
The FTDI chip at the the USB-device connector should show you two serial ports.
One for the console, and the other for the JTAG.

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-16 20:02       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-16 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Jan 16 14:58:33 EST 2011, paurea@gmail.com wrote:
> Yes there is :-). It is another endpoint in the usb. I would try going at it with openocd. My jtag driver doesn't do reflashing yet.

ocd, catatonic.  we're goign to have to choose one.  :-)

thanks for the info.  i'll take a look.

@ 2011-01-16 20:03     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2011-01-16 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:41 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> i haven't cracked the case.  does anyone know if there's
> a jtag port at all in a sheevaplug?

Another possibility -- the omap "on chip" firmware will use SD-based
uboot image if it finds it, instead of flash. If the plug plays by the
same rules, you might be able to put a known-good u-boot on an SD and
use that image.

ron

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2011-01-16 20:08     ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2011-01-16 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> no output from uboot at all.  no output of any kind.

Assuming it isn't hardware death the only option I can see is re-flashing.

> i haven't cracked the case.  does anyone know if there's
> a jtag port at all in a sheevaplug?

Even if there's no ready-to-use JTAG port on the board on the PCB there
sure will be a site where you can add a pin header or box header (requires
some soldering). From there it should be straight forward. Identify the
site (ARM JTAG comes in 10- and 20-pin varieties)and pinout, then connect
to your JTAG board/box.

I have tried that with a bricked Patriot NAS that used a Marvell 88F5182.
The device didn't have a serial port nor JTAG but both facilities had been
thought of on the PCB. Now it has serial console and can be un-bricked at
will.

P.S. Other two replies show Marvell has been more considerate than Patriot.

--On Sunday, January 16, 2011 14:41 -0500 erik quanstrom

@ 2011-01-16 20:15       ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2011-01-16 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Another possibility -- the omap "on chip" firmware will use SD-based
> uboot image if it finds it, instead of flash. If the plug plays by the
> same rules, you might be able to put a known-good u-boot on an SD and
> use that image.

Marvell chips lack that. TI and Samsung were a tad more thoughtful.

--On Sunday, January 16, 2011 12:03 -0800 ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>

@ 2011-01-16 22:22         ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2011-01-16 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 9:02 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Sun Jan 16 14:58:33 EST 2011, paurea@gmail.com wrote:
>> Yes there is :-). It is another endpoint in the usb. I would try going at it with openocd. My jtag driver doesn't do reflashing yet.
>>

> ocd, catatonic.  we're goign to have to choose one.  :-)
>
> thanks for the info.  i'll take a look.

Be aware that sometimes if the jtag isn't used early enough after
booting it will not respond.
Though, if there is not light in the ethernet, it sounds like it is fried...

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] sheevaplug catatonic
@ 2011-01-16 23:41           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2011-01-16 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Be aware that sometimes if the jtag isn't used early enough after
> booting it will not respond.
> Though, if there is not light in the ethernet, it sounds like it is fried...

both lights are solid on and it is not very warm.

- erik