On 18 Jan 2010, at 10:43 pm, cinap_lenrek@gmx.de wrote: > i think a lot of the slowdown comes from that linux was not > streamlined its userspace, but the userspace just got more and more > complicated and does tons of redundant stuff... what they did then > was not to fix userspace, but they optimized the kernel to cache > anything... > > look at some typical syscall traces... tons of files are stat()ed... > multiple times... it opens unix domain sockets to talk to a not > existant ldap name service or something... tons of shared libraries > are loaded... and that is all before even your main() entry is gets > called... > > linuxemu doesnt shortcut these things... i cant reuse the shared > library mmaps on exec ect... i think walks are not cached in plan9, > so you have to talk to your fileserver. > > the syscall overhead is just one of the bottlenecks of linux emulation > and you would have to put tons of more crap in the kernel to get > mozilla or opera working... and even more to get it half as fast as > in linux. > > just keep plan9 small and simple. Indeed! I doubt I'd be interested in looking at a plan-9-turned-into- linux kernel ever! :) You got me wondering how much could be cached in linuxemu. Would a cache server filesystem make sense? -- http://xkcd.com/676/ Ethan Grammatikidis eekee57@fastmail.fm