From: <vdharani@infernopark.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] server configuration
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:36:29 -0500	[thread overview]

hi,

> open a window. in it 'echo debug > /mnt/factotum/ctl;cat /dev/kprint'.
> open another window. do something that fails.
>
> if the problem doesn't become obvious, mail me what you get in the
> kprint window.

wow! atlast i have cofigured my machine properly. now, all the things (ssh,
telnet, ftp) work very well. the words 'auth/debug' and 'authdom' were
clues enough for me to cross the hurdles. i figured that i had given some
near-junk domain name during reboot (after the blahblahblah nvram
initialization). auth/debug pointed me the mistakes. after i corrected
those things, everything seems to be fine now.

the wordings "The authdom is a non-empty domain (e.g. moscvax.edu) of your
choosing (for debugging), ..." in Wiki standalone CPU server config page in
really confused me. i thought i can give any name for the domain and it
wont be needed.

apart from this, wiki page on ssh configuration also confused me. it seems
to be neither useful nor correct. why cant we change it, if it is not valid
anymore?

next, i see that there is really no information on auth setup really in the
wiki pages. just a few lines describing auth/debug, and anything else to
check would have been enough.

i can do some of these things and of course, you can feel free to modify
it. are wiki pages editable now? can i go ahead and do it?

though i have been using plan 9 for many years, only recently i am doing
things like CPU/AUTH server setup etc. things are a bit difficult
initially, but i can see that i am gaining knowledge on plan 9 day by day.
i feel happy to play with and use plan 9. and i am wondering why i didnt
jump into it early enough.

thanks dave, andrey and lucio for your responses.

regards
dharani