* [9fans] chmod /dev/consctl : Permission Denied
@ 2006-09-17  2:22 Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-09-17  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I need to be able to change permissions of /dev/consctl , and I get a
permission denied.

term% ls -l /dev/consctl
 ----------- M 111 glenda glenda 0 Jan 2 03:30 /dev/consctl

term% chmod 0700 /dev/consctl
chmod: can't wstat /dev/consctl: permission denied

term% chmod 0200 /dev/consctl
chmod: can't wstat /dev/consctl: permission denied

Long story:
I'm emulating Plan9 with qemu, and to get an internet connection I do the
following in Plan9:
 ip/ipconfig
 ndb/dns -r
 ndb/cs

I know that with this, ICMP will not be working, but `telnet
tcp!www.google.com!80` should work:
 term% telnet tcp!www.google.com!80
 connected to tcp!www.google.com!80 on /net/tcp/1
 can't open consctl: '/dev/consctl' permission denied
 can't open consctl: '/dev/consctl' permission denied

I might be going in a whole different direction as to how to get an internet
connection in plan9 under qemu. But I'm lost.

- Yosyp

* Re: [9fans] chmod /dev/consctl : Permission Denied
@ 2006-09-17  2:29 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-17  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try this
	bind -b '#c' /dev

you shouldn't need this.  there shouldn't be a real file in /dev.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] chmod /dev/consctl : Permission Denied
@ 2006-09-17  6:12   ` Yosyp Bin Laden
From: Yosyp Bin Laden @ 2006-09-17  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm not sure what 'bind -b '#c' /dev' is supposed to do, but nothing
changes:
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/715/plan9connectionfaultiy1.png

I tried this both before and after the 'ip/ipconfig && ndb/dns -r &&
ndb/cs', didn't seem to matter.

@ 2006-09-17  8:41     ` arisawa
From: arisawa @ 2006-09-17  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

> I'm not sure what 'bind -b '#c' /dev' is supposed to do, but
> nothing changes:
> http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/715/plan9connectionfaultiy1.png

Try out of acme.

* Re: [9fans] chmod /dev/consctl : Permission Denied
@ 2006-09-17  8:55       ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-09-17  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hello,
>
>> I'm not sure what 'bind -b '#c' /dev' is supposed to do, but
>> nothing changes:
>> http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/715/plan9connectionfaultiy1.png
>>

> Try out of acme.

yeah, switching on raw mode ( I guess that's what telnet does there ) in acmes' win won't work, however ircrc should work. (imho). IRC is a bit more wordy than HTTP in the beginning, so the easy way to find out if telneting works is to try out IRC from a rio window.

Something that pops up in my mind, what happens if there is some packet-filter on the host?

* Re: [9fans] chmod /dev/consctl : Permission Denied
@ 2006-09-17 14:19     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-09-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Did you bind in the window _before_ loading acme? In the screenshot, you
bind in another acme win, which would have it's own namespace I should
think. why not bind #c to /dev first, then try everything from within
acme...

--
If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come to

-- Günter Grass

* Re: [9fans] chmod /dev/consctl : Permission Denied
@ 2006-09-17 15:29 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-09-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In general, you cannot change the permissions on devices.
The name spaces, rather than permissions, control sharing.
The permission bits on devices serve mainly as documentation
about what you can expect to do with the device.  In this case,
acme win provides a /dev/consctl with no permissions because
it doesn't (can't) implement any of the special writes to /dev/consctl.

If you need to use a program that insists on writing to /dev/consctl
you can try running it in a normal rio window.

Russ