* [9fans] mouse replacement
@ 2006-12-15 19:38 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-12-15 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/products/basic/basic_overview.html

Too bad you can't click by winking,
though I guess most Plan 9 programs
would then require three eyes.

And sneezing would be a pretty good
simulation of that thing that happens
when the Plan 9 PS/2 mouse driver
gets confused and the mouse flies all
over the screen.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] mouse replacement
@ 2006-12-15 20:04 ` Gabriel Diaz
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-12-15 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

"Reaching back and forth for the mouse wastes time and strains your
wrist, which can lead to repetitive strain injuries"

i would say i prefer a pain on a hand than on the head or neck, but
may be some disagree ;).

Anyway it is interesing for some people, mainly for those who can't
move the hands or use a mouse.

gabi

On 12/15/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/products/basic/basic_overview.html
>
> Too bad you can't click by winking,
> though I guess most Plan 9 programs
> would then require three eyes.
>
> And sneezing would be a pretty good
> simulation of that thing that happens
> when the Plan 9 PS/2 mouse driver
> gets confused and the mouse flies all
> over the screen.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] mouse replacement
@ 2006-12-15 21:07 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2006-12-15 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> http://www.naturalpoint.com/smartnav/products/basic/basic_overview.html

I wonder if it will replace wrist RSI with a neck pain.

But this is an interesting and relatively simple idea.  A
variety of uses and related ideas come to mind.  Probably not
too hard to implement with a gumstix and a camera....  And
may be even build a multi-input device by tracking multiple
dots of different colors.

But what I really want are these multi-touch devices.  Check
these links to see the kind of things one can do!

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/ftirtouch/
http://oracledmt.blogspot.com/2006/02/multi-touch-screens-next-input-device.html
http://edwardhtse.googlepages.com/edwardtse-videos.html

The first link requires a quicktime plugin.  The other two
flashplayer plugin for youtube videos.

> And sneezing would be a pretty good
> simulation of that thing that happens
> when the Plan 9 PS/2 mouse driver
> gets confused and the mouse flies all
> over the screen.

* Re: [9fans] mouse replacement
@ 2006-12-18 11:15   ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-12-18 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I used one an didn't work if you wore glasses and was very very
tiring for the eyes. You kept your eyes open and go dryness, your neck
got stiff and was very tiresome.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] mouse replacement
@ 2006-12-18 13:10     ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2006-12-18 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gorka guardiola wrote:
>  I used one an didn't work if you wore glasses and was very very
>  tiring for the eyes. You kept your eyes open and go dryness, your
>  neck got stiff and was very tiresome.

Also, every time an attractive person of the appropriate gender
enters your field of view, you lose control:-).
They've tried similar systems for wheelchair steering and missile guidance.
Same problem.

Also, changing your eyes from a seeing to a pointing device sounds
dubious in concept
and, as Gorka says, it is painful and dangerous.
(OTOH so are mice.)

I used a voice recognition system many years ago: ditto.
It only works if there are no distractions.

Also, your voice and eyes aren't modal:
there's no easy way to say "I'm not pointing/dictating now".

I've always thought that a combination of voice recognition
and movement detection (lip reading) would be good:
not only would you be able to talk quietly (or even mime)
but also it could stop listening when you turn away from the screen.

People seem to look down on hand-operated pointing devices
as a poor second to some imaginary better pointing device which doesn't
exist.
Considering that their design was probably mostly through accident and
necessity,
mice and (my favourite) trackballs don't do too badly.

Also, hands are already multipurpose and are good at pointing (cf. feet):
giving them another job to do is a minor change.

DaveL

* Re: [9fans] mouse replacement
@ 2006-12-18 13:33       ` Alberto Cortés
From: Alberto Cortés @ 2006-12-18 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2006-12-18 13:10, Dave Lukes wrote:
> I've always thought that a combination of voice recognition
> and movement detection (lip reading) would be good:
> not only would you be able to talk quietly (or even mime)
> but also it could stop listening when you turn away from the screen.

My father likes to play flight simulators, he owns a pair of
pedals with an RS232 interface.

I always wondered why my keyboard does not come with a nice pair
of pedals. Anyway, I stop thinking about this when I give up
using emacs :).

--
  http://bach.gast.it.uc3m.es/~alcortes/index.html