* [9fans] Windows XP names
@ 2011-01-05 11:36 Artem Novikov
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Artem Novikov @ 2011-01-05 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Under WIndows XP I cannot copy these files

sys\src\9\boot\aux.c
sys\src\cmd\con\con.c	=)

and these directories

sys\src\cmd\con\
sys\src\cmd\aux\

from Plan 9 source tree, because Windows don't allow anyone create
directories or files with names "aux", "con".

*LOL*

* Re: [9fans] Windows XP names
@ 2011-01-05 11:52 ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2011-01-05 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wednesday, January 05, 2011 12:36:40 pm Artem Novikov wrote:
> Under WIndows XP I cannot copy these files
>
> sys\src\9\boot\aux.c
> sys\src\cmd\con\con.c	=)
>
> and these directories
>
> sys\src\cmd\con\
> sys\src\cmd\aux\
>
> from Plan 9 source tree, because Windows don't allow anyone create
> directories or files with names "aux", "con".
>
> *LOL*

lol indeed; thanks to backward compatibility. Back in the heyday of DOS, you
could
copy CON FILE.txt
(typety typety typety)
^Z

and you got a nice file :D

or, perhaps,
copy FILE.txt LPT1
and have it printed

in any case, the limitation is not in filesystem, neither in handling of
directory access; there's a `hack' involving a somewhat twisted pathname to
create the directory; see the discussion at

http://kerneltrap.org/node/5772

--
dexen deVries

``You want to make your way in the CS field? Simple. Calculate rough time of
amnesia (hell, 10 years is plenty, probably 10 months is plenty), go to the
dusty archives, dig out something fun, and go for it.   It's worked for many
people, and it can work for you.''  - Ron Minnich

* Re: [9fans] Windows XP names
@ 2011-01-05 13:41   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2011-01-05 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You can create these objects using the CreateFile() API but you
must add the Posix semantics flag. This will also allow you to create
Makefile and makefile in the same directory.

The problem is that you will not be able to access these files
from Windows/MSDOS.

Sadly this means that almost noone uses Posix semantics.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Windows XP names
@ 2011-01-05 13:43 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2011-01-05 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> from Plan 9 source tree, because Windows don't allow anyone create
> directories or files with names "aux", "con".

It used to be possible to crash Windows remotely via the web, simply
by using a file URL containing two or more of these reserved words.
Possibly fixed by now.

* Re: [9fans] Windows XP names
@ 2011-01-06 15:17   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2011-01-06 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I used to troll SAMBA file servers with such dirs when I was younger.
They had funny names and nobody knew how to remove them.

* Re: [9fans] Windows XP names
@ 2011-01-06 23:25 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2011-01-06 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can still access these "special" file names by prefixing your path
with \\?\

example:

C:\>echo Test > "\\?\C:\AUX"
C:\>dir "\\?\C:\AUX"
 Volume in drive \\?\C: is SYS
 Volume Serial Number is D48F-6BD6

 Directory of \\?\C:

07.01.2011  00:19                 7 AUX
               1 File(s)              7 bytes
               0 Dir(s)               0 bytes free

C:\>type "\\?\C:\AUX"
Test
C:\>

more info can be found under this url:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

patch for drawterm should be trivial...

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2462 bytes --]