From: Alex Lee <alexlee@uchicago.edu>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 Xen -- Follow up on previous 9fans topic
Date: Fri,  2 Oct 2009 16:41:42 -0500	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Jack Norton <jack@0x6a.com> wrote:
> I would like to know if the fellow below (Andreas Erikson), ever tried to
> compile plan 9 xen3 sources against xen 3.2.x (or 3.[2-4].x for that
> matter).   I am going to try that this weekend, and if he started to patch
> some code, I would appreciate the head start.

This doesn't give much of an answer to Jack's question, but in case it
is of use:

I recently tried compiling a 9xen kernel, because I wanted to run Plan
9 with Debian Lenny, which has a prepackaged Xen 3.2.1 system.

The kernel did not compile against the most recent sources. There was
a mismatch in the function prototype of cpuid in pc/fns.h and
xen3/fns.h that caused compilation to fail: void cpuid(int, ulong
regs[]) versus void cpuid(char*, int*, int*).

I had an older install CD image, from around Aug 2008, so tried again
using sources from that. This time compilation worked, but Xen
rejected the kernel and gave some sort of version mismatch error
(which I think is the same error it gave when I tried booting
Richard's precompiled 3.0.2–4 kernels).

Sorry for the lack of detail; I don't have Xen 3.2.1 running anymore,
so I can't run it again to see the exact message. If I find time I'll
try it again. I'd love to hear if anyone else has made more progress.
Unfortunately, like Andreas, I'm lacking in the time and know-how to
contribute much to this.

In the end I just installed the Xen system from Etch (oldstable),
which uses Xen 3.0.3. Richard's kernels boot and have been working
great (thanks, Ron and Richard, for your work on this!).

Alex

--
Alex Lee <alexlee@uchicago.edu>