* [9fans] rio with virtuals
@ 2009-06-15 22:54 john
From: john @ 2009-06-15 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I spent a couple hours this afternoon reading rio source and hacking
it to do virtual desktops.  /n/sources/contrib/john/rio-virtual.tgz
contains the files from /sys/src/cmd/rio with my changes made.  At
this time, there is no support for specifying the number of virtuals,
because I'm lazy--you get six and you will ENJOY IT.

Let me know if you try it and find bugs.  I don't really give a damn
if you think this is Against The Plan 9 Way.  Personally, the exercise
gave me a better appreciation for the simplicity of Plan 9 software--I
was able to take a piece of software I'd never looked at before, read
the code a bit, and put in some new functionality within an hour or
two.

John

* Re: [9fans] rio with virtuals
@ 2009-06-15 23:00 ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-06-15 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

p9p rio has virtuals, too. I would tell you to look at the source for
more inspiration, but I don't really want to be a comedian.

How does one switch desktops? Can/did you implement scrolling on a
gray bit to switch? Extending the fs?

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM, <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:
> I spent a couple hours this afternoon reading rio source and hacking
> it to do virtual desktops.  /n/sources/contrib/john/rio-virtual.tgz
> contains the files from /sys/src/cmd/rio with my changes made.  At
> this time, there is no support for specifying the number of virtuals,
> because I'm lazy--you get six and you will ENJOY IT.
>
> Let me know if you try it and find bugs.  I don't really give a damn
> if you think this is Against The Plan 9 Way.  Personally, the exercise
> gave me a better appreciation for the simplicity of Plan 9 software--I
> was able to take a piece of software I'd never looked at before, read
> the code a bit, and put in some new functionality within an hour or
> two.
>

> John

* Re: [9fans] rio with virtuals
@ 2009-06-15 23:13   ` john
From: john @ 2009-06-15 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> p9p rio has virtuals, too. I would tell you to look at the source for
> more inspiration, but I don't really want to be a comedian.
>
> How does one switch desktops? Can/did you implement scrolling on a
> gray bit to switch? Extending the fs?

You switch desktops by clicking the middle mouse button away from any
windows, like in p9p rio.  It should say this in the README.

John

* Re: [9fans] rio with virtuals
@ 2009-08-12 20:20 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-08-12 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 3:54 PM, <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:
> I spent a couple hours this afternoon reading rio source and hacking
> it to do virtual desktops.  /n/sources/contrib/john/rio-virtual.tgz
> contains the files from /sys/src/cmd/rio with my changes made.  At
> this time, there is no support for specifying the number of virtuals,
> because I'm lazy--you get six and you will ENJOY IT.

A followup for anyone using rio-virtual: I did a bit of hacking today
and have some updates.
* Virtual desktop switching should be a bit faster thanks to a
slightly smarter algorithm governing who gets drawn and who doesn't.
Oh, and hiding a window, switching desktops, then switching back now
leaves the window hidden, instead of drawing it again like in the old
version.
* The "-b 0xrrggbbFF" switch allows you to set the background color;
the default is 0x777777FF, but I also like 0xBBBBBBFF, and some shades
of dark red or blue can also be nice.
* To get a little silly, the "-n" switch makes window borders look as
close to the old 8 1/2 windows as I could easily come. The current
window has 4 pixel black borders, while the other windows have one
pixel black borders.

The new source is still in /n/sources/contrib/john/rio-virtual.tgz.
I've also put it on Bitbucket, so you can fetch it via Mercurial:
http://bitbucket.org/floren/rio-virtual/

John
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike