* [9fans] Plan 9 on Intel P45 chipset motherboard
@ 2010-02-06 19:01 Wolfgang Kunz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Kunz @ 2010-02-06 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

after reading a lot of chip sets I was thinking:

No risk, no fun

and bought a very new motherboard. The board is
an Asus P5Q SE2 with Intel P45 and ICH10.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T4T7B10FfR6zJ4Ns&templete=2

Here my results:

1. The installation of Plan 9 is not possible. I found
that the Marvell 88se61xx IDE controller is not working.
The message:
pcirouting: ignoring south bridge PCI.0.31.0 8086/3A18

could give more information. However: Installation with an
normal IDE cdrom is not possible. I will buy a SATA cdrom
and try it again.

2. The AHCI-driver works fine and Plan 9 runs like a storm.
I have the SATA drive attached to a Sil 3114 controller and
put both in an old PIII maschine. Booting and installation
of Plan 9 is slow but works fine. After that I connected the
drive back to the Asus board and changed the bios settings to
AHCI. Then I crossed the fingers and booted. It worked! I am
very happy! Now I have a very new fast motherboard with a
running Plan 9.

I use a nvidia 6200TC videocard. Here I have a problem with
the monitor setting. My Acer TTF need 1440 x 900. I changed
the plan9.ini to e198wfp as monitor and 1440x900x8 as vgasize.
Not a good idea. Now I can see anything.

Now my questions:

How can I stop starting rc and go to the console? Booting from
cdrom is not possible at the moment.

Any idea for the setting for my videocard/monitor?

Is it right that I can attach a SATA cdrom to the AHCI driver
and booting from cdrom works?

The ICH10 seems to works in AHCI mode. Are there some test that I
can make to verify this?

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 on Intel P45 chipset motherboard
@ 2010-02-07 16:57 Wolfgang Kunz
From: Wolfgang Kunz @ 2010-02-07 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>login as none.  if you're running a cpu kernel, then use
>drawterm to login as the hostowner.

Works fine. Many thanks!

>> Is it right that I can attach a SATA cdrom to the AHCI driver
>> and booting from cdrom works?
>
>yes.

I will order a SATA cdrom.

Regards,