* [9fans] 9ports+xvnc+9term -> black on black
@ 2004-09-02  9:11 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-09-02  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

Running the 9ports under current issue debain linux (2.6.8.1)
everything works fine from the VGA display but running under Xvnc
my 9term appears to draw black text against a black background.

If I start the 9term, type xclock in this black window I get an
xclock. So I assume the 9term is working ok, its just the unhelpfull
background colour.

Anyone any ideas or am I on my own with Xvnc?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] 9ports+xvnc+9term -> black on black
@ 2004-09-03  2:47 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-09-03  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Anyone any ideas or am I on my own with Xvnc?

I run 9term inside VNC with Debian Linux on both
sides all the time with no problems.  I am using the
"vncserver" and "xtightvncviewer" packages.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9ports+xvnc+9term -> black on black
@ 2004-09-03 14:48 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2004-09-03 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just some questions:

could there be funny background colors being set in your xrdb (Xdefaults)?

When you select some text with the mouse, any change in color?

My vnc server and/or client have some options regarding
the use of colors (numbers of them or something like that),
does playing with that makes a difference?

(I have no problems using 9term on solaris Xvnc
 with win98 and solaris viewers, both with vnc 3.? and 4.0(?),
 I use 'use all available colors' in the vnc client options)

Axel.

@ 2004-09-03 16:47   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2004-09-03 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russcox, 9fans

> I run 9term inside VNC with Debian Linux on both
> sides all the time with no problems.  I am using the
> "vncserver" and "xtightvncviewer" packages.

Mmm, I guess the problem is to do with xvnc, or perhaps
using a display number !=0 ?

If you open two windows and in the first type:
	Xvnc :99 -once -geometry 1024x768 -localhost -rfbport 5999 &
	sleep 1
	rio  &

and in the second type
	vncviewer localhost:99

you will get rio, but when you sweep out a 9term window it will
be black (well, mine is). Acme and sam(term) also appear broken
but if you type at the window, eg xterm, things seem to work.

I am not just grumbling at random, I will look into it, I just
want confirmation that its a bug and not my finger trouble.

-Steve