* [9fans] two quick questions on syscalls
@ 2009-01-08 17:03 Roman V. Shaposhnik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Roman V. Shaposhnik @ 2009-01-08 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

1. are the ones starting from underscore totally deprecated?
2. what's the use for sysr1?

Thanks,
Roman.

* Re: [9fans] two quick questions on syscalls
@ 2009-01-08 17:22 ` john
From: john @ 2009-01-08 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hi!
>
> 1. are the ones starting from underscore totally deprecated?
> 2. what's the use for sysr1?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

To answer #2:
I found sysr1 useful while fiddling with devtrace, because it's a
syscall that does nothing.  In addition to providing insights to how
long it takes to enter a syscall and return, it also gave me a place
to put in syscall things I wanted to test.

John

PS: I'm sitting in an engineering lab near a couple of shrill freshmen
arguing KDE vs.  GNOME...  apparently they just discovered Linux
because nobody has mentioned any other window manager in the whole 30
minutes.

* Re: [9fans] two quick questions on syscalls
@ 2009-01-08 17:27 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2009-01-08 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Roman V. Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com> wrote:
> 1. are the ones starting from underscore totally deprecated?

No.  Many are still minimally supported, so that it is
possible to run simple pre-9P2000 binaries (for example,
out of the dump).

> 2. what's the use for sysr1?

Sysr1 is whatever you want it to be.
During kernel hacking, it's often useful
to be define it to do some kind of
debugging action, like toggle extra
checking or output.  It has no assigned
purpose.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] two quick questions on syscalls
@ 2009-01-08 17:40 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-01-08 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the _ ones allow some old binaries to work (mainly useful
these days for ancient things on the dump i suppose);
sysr1 is for [kernel] debugging and hasn't got a fixed function.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2358 bytes --]

From: "Roman V. Shaposhnik" <rvs@sun.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] two quick questions on syscalls
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:03:44 -0800

@ 2009-01-08 21:56   ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2009-01-08 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] two quick questions on syscalls
@ 2009-01-08 22:23     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-01-08 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Last time I checked, isn't _brk() still used by libc?

that's brk_, which represents a remarkably persistent bit of history