* [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide
@ 2008-06-30 21:46 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-30 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
the document proclaims itself to be:

	This is a quick-start guide to the  user interface of the
	Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
	started at Coraid.
	[...]
	This is not a technical guide to Plan 9.  This is only a "guide
	for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first time.

a temporary home for this document is here:

	http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf

- erik

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide
@ 2008-07-01  1:25 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-07-01  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There have been similar efforts in the past, but this one is *really*
nice. Concise, clear and covers basic stuff but fast enough.

Do you have the troff source available? That would make it easier for
people to expand it further. Also I would be happy to host an html
version at http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/ if that is OK with you.

Thanks, peace and best wishes

uriel

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
> the document proclaims itself to be:
>
>        This is a quick-start guide to the  user interface of the
>        Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
>        started at Coraid.
>        [...]
>        This is not a technical guide to Plan 9.  This is only a "guide
>        for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first time.
>
> a temporary home for this document is here:
>
>        http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide
@ 2008-07-01 12:31   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2008-07-01 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Michael is a very smart man with a great sense of language,
sophisticated knowledge of computer science, but he was totally
ignorant of Plan 9.  That fact allowed him to record what he was
learning.  As time went by he was quickly loosing a sense of what he
needed to know, becoming instead more knowledgeable of Plan 9.  You
and I can't expand his paper.  We know too much.  We should let
Michael own the paper.

Uriel wrote:
> There have been similar efforts in the past, but this one is *really*
> nice. Concise, clear and covers basic stuff but fast enough.
>
> Do you have the troff source available? That would make it easier for
> people to expand it further. Also I would be happy to host an html
> version at http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/ if that is OK with you.
>
> Thanks, peace and best wishes
>
> uriel
>
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
>> this guide was writen at coraid by michael covington.
>> the document proclaims itself to be:
>>
>>        This is a quick-start guide to the  user interface of the
>>        Plan 9 operating system based on my own experiences getting
>>        started at Coraid.
>>        [...]
>>        This is not a technical guide to Plan 9.  This is only a "guide
>>        for the perplexed" for those who are using Plan 9 for the first time.
>>
>> a temporary home for this document is here:
>>
>>        http://www.quanstro.net/newbie-guide.pdf
>>
>> - erik

* Re: [9fans] plan 9 newbie guide
@ 2008-07-01 14:40     ` Uriel