From: Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] 9p over high-latency
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:48:44 +0200	[thread overview]

Actually, this whole subject was thoroughly discussed at the *first*
iwp9; but apparently nobody is bothered by this enough to implement
any of the then suggested solutions.

Op is not one the solutions discussed at the time, and saying 'just
use another protocol' is not a way to resolve the shortcomings 9P
clearly has.

Moreover most of the solutions discussed back then seemed quite clear
and would be (mostly) backwards compatible, so I still don't
understand why Op was created rather than implement one of those
solutions, although my understanding is that nemo and co. considered
it easier (ie., didn't involve changing other people's code?).

Also worth noting is that Op has some serious shortcomings, if I
recall correctly it fails to translate some important 9P semantics
like walks, which means that while Op can transparently proxy 9P
connections, certain file servers wont work properly (I might be
mistaken, and certainly don't remember the details).

This is not to say that there is no use for a protocol like Op (it
shares much in common with http, which clearly has found lots of use
in the 'real world').

Peace

uriel