From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Google Summer of code 2009
Date: Fri,  6 Mar 2009 19:16:26 -0500	[thread overview]

> > what's the pressure point here?
> >

> The number of mainboards that have incorrect PIR, MP, tables that are
> correct in ACPI. The fact that so many functions, for correct
> operation, need ACPI.
>
> It's a mess. ACPI sucks. But it's what we have to work with.

this is just my perspective on the matter, but i find the mp
tables often get fixed, and when they don't the results are
mostly annoying.  my core i7 motherboard, for example, doesn't
see it's ht processors.  i can live with that.  i still have 4.

(the biggest sticking point with the mp tables is the interrupts.
this can also be fixed by using msi interrupts.  i think that would
offer a bigger bang/buck factor.  the performance of 8259 or even
mp interrupts is pretty poor.)

on the other hand, nvidia graphics drive me bats.  it would
make a bigger difference to me to have good amd or intel
gma graphics support.

just my own perspective.  maybe i'm out of touch and have just
been lucky picking motherboards.

that's not to say acpi isn't a good thing to get done.  it's just that
personally i'd rank it lower than a few other things. ymmv.

- erik