From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] plan9port awk problem
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:37:31 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon Apr 19 13:20:13 EDT 2010, rudolf.sykora@gmail.com wrote:
> > it appears that you installed my contrib verison of awk:
> > (or used 9atom)
> >
> > ; ls -l /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/awk
> > --rwxrwxr-x M 450 quanstro sys 334087 Dec  1 14:23 /n/sources/contrib/quanstro/root/386/bin/awk
> >
> > - erik
> >

> Yes, that's it. 9atom is what I used... :)
>
> So, now I join those people asking: what's the difference between
> 9atom awk, current sources awk, bwk, what else? Why are there so many
> of them?

there are two versions.

there's the official sources version.  it's based on bwk's source
from about 2000 or so.  this is what's used in p9p.

there's also the newer port (using the same framework).
it's based on bwk's latest version as of 20091101.  in addition,
i added some code to correct a floating point overflow bug
that was most noticable in using %x and %o formats.
(this bug was also present in gawk and every other version
of awk tested.  details were posted to the list.)

this version of awk is in 9atom and in contrib quanstro/awk.
feel free to diff away.  the differences are a bit greater than
they should be since erstwhile ken c changes made it easier
to avoid suprious edits to bwk's code.  diffs against bwk's code
should also be instructive.

so there are exactly two differences between the two versions
1) bwk's bug fixes
2) fix for implicit fpes.

- erik