Well, to keep (almost? ;-)) all of us happy, we have F1, F2, ... to activate keymap #1, #2, ... also we have devkbmap to download/change even more maps. The reason to have them compiled in is that I wanted the spanish keymap in the password prompt (at boot(8) time). The reason to add dynamic ones is that there're 9fans that strongly asked for it, IIRC their reason was to debug the addition of more keymaps. The plan I suggest is to move what we already have into the user level keyboard driver (the usb one would also do it) and remove it from the kernel. But I wouldn't like to do that if it would not unify what we all do with keyboards. So, votes against?