* [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-27 16:49 roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-10-27 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

the environment variable size limit is set to 16300 bytes which
seems rather small; for instance it can break mkfiles for large projects.

might a patch specifying a larger size limit (e.g. 128K) be accepted?

* Re: [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-27 19:51 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-27 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Oct 27 12:52:52 EDT 2009, rogpeppe@gmail.com wrote:
> the environment variable size limit is set to 16300 bytes which
> seems rather small; for instance it can break mkfiles for large projects.
>
> might a patch specifying a larger size limit (e.g. 128K) be accepted?

you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-27 21:21   ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-10-27 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes.

for instance when there are a few thousand source files
and one wants to link them all.

2009/10/27 erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com>:
> On Tue Oct 27 12:52:52 EDT 2009, rogpeppe@gmail.com wrote:
>> the environment variable size limit is set to 16300 bytes which
>> seems rather small; for instance it can break mkfiles for large projects.
>>
>> might a patch specifying a larger size limit (e.g. 128K) be accepted?
>
> you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?
>
> - erik

* Re: [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-28  9:38     ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2009-10-28  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/10/27 erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com>:
> > On Tue Oct 27 12:52:52 EDT 2009, rogpeppe@gmail.com wrote:
> >> the environment variable size limit is set to 16300 bytes which
> >> seems rather small; for instance it can break mkfiles for large
> projects.
> >>
> >> might a patch specifying a larger size limit (e.g. 128K) be accepted?
> >
> > you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?
> >
> > - erik

yes.

> for instance when there are a few thousand source files
> and one wants to link them all.

Use libraries!

Robby

* Re: [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-29  9:42     ` Andreas Zell
From: Andreas Zell @ 2009-10-29  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 28 Okt., 10:42, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM, roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > projects.

> > > you need a single variable that's bigger than 16300 bytes?
>
> > > - erik
>
> yes.
>

> > for instance when there are a few thousand source files
> > and one wants to link them all.
>
> Use libraries!
>
> Robby

Hmm,

ar cr libfile.a $(A_FEW_THOUSEND_OBJECT_FILES)

AZ

* Re: [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-29 10:11       ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2009-10-29 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Andreas Zell <zell@imageaccess.de> wrote:

> On 28 Okt., 10:42, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:21 PM, roger peppe <rogpe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > for instance when there are a few thousand source files
> > > and one wants to link them all.
> >
> > Use libraries!
> >
> > Robby
>
> Hmm,
>
> ar cr libfile.a $(A_FEW_THOUSEND_OBJECT_FILES)

ROFL.

Robby

PS Hmm, you are joking, right? I'm never entirely sure in these
international discussions without signifiers like :-)

* Re: [9fans] env size limit
@ 2009-10-29 11:35       ` Andreas Zell
From: Andreas Zell @ 2009-10-29 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 29 Okt., 11:15, rtrli...@googlemail.com (Robert Raschke) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Andreas Zell <z...@imageaccess.de> wrote:
>
> > > Use libraries!
>
> > > Robby
>
> > Hmm,
>
> > ar cr libfile.a $(A_FEW_THOUSEND_OBJECT_FILES)
>
> ROFL.
>
> Robby
>
> PS Hmm, you are joking, right? I'm never entirely sure in these
> international discussions without signifiers like :-)

That's right.

AZ