I was playing around with the Alpha port earlier this year, trying to get it running on my Multia. I got the bootloader to compile and run fine, using the "no BWX" flag never got a Plan 9 server set up to provide a kernel or filesystem, though... Make sure you have a recent version of the sources... I had changed a few parts of the PALcode definitions earlier this year... -Ben -----Original Message----- From: 9fans-bounces+bhuntsman=mail2.cu-portland.edu@cse.psu.edu on behalf of Bruce Ellis Sent: Sun 9/17/2006 12:53 PM To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs Subject: Re: Re: [9fans] alpha port? someone at basser gave dhog substantial alpha support, danny lee perhaps. i just gave hime mine 'cause almost none of red-hat worked on it and i wanted plan9. and linux isn't allowed in the house. mark shand knows too much about alphas and i'll ask him any specific question. his wine cellar is still cluttered with buzzing alphas. brucee On 9/15/06, Pawel Lasek wrote: > On 9/14/06, geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote: > > As /sys/doc/port.ms says, > > --- > > The compiler assumes that the target CPU supports the optional byte and > > word memory operations (the ``BWX'' extension). > > If you have an old system, you can generate code without using the extension > > by passing the loader the > > .CW -x > > option. > > --- > > > > That may not be enough though; dhog thought that some of the > > device drivers might depend upon byte or word accesses. > > Plus you'd need to check all the assembly language code for > > BWX operations. > > I recall that there was some kind of EV56 emulator for EV45, which > added BWX and some other operations to running cpu (like FPU > emulator). The problem is that it might be hidden behind some > proprietary license. > > If all goes wrong I'll just need to grep them all... > > And of course details of I/O and memory management vary across > > Alpha models. > > Isn't that the reason PAL exists? ;-) > > Well, I'll look into netbsd/alpha code for AS255 and check relevant > parts. IIRC many things were accomplished in netbsd by using OSF > PALcode. > > But first I'll need to get a place to put my normal computer to do any > work, so don't expect anything fast :-) > > -- > Paul Lasek >