* [9fans] cron and lib/profile
@ 2007-03-26 17:08 gas
From: gas @ 2007-03-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Cron (w. host=local) does not seem to read $home/lib/profile, so all
the binds there are missing. Should it not behave as if the user logged
in and typed the command manually?

kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com

* Re: [9fans] cron and lib/profile
@ 2007-03-27 17:21 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2007-03-27 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

smurfasmurf wrote:
> Cron (w. host=local) does not seem to read $home/lib/profile, so all
> the binds there are missing. Should it not behave as if the user logged
> in and typed the command manually?

With host=local, the command runs in a namespace as in /lib/namespace.
If you need the bindings made in your lib/profile you can use the
explicit name of the CPU server as hostname.

In the latter case, rx(1) and rexexec(8) are used. Rexexec does:
execl("/bin/rc", "rc", "-lc", buf, nil);
to run the commands in it. (The -l flag causes rc to read lib/profile.)

whereas, if host is 'local', cron does:
execl("/bin/rc", "rc", "-c", buf, nil);

The I can't tell if the difference in behaviour is intended.  But you
can work around it that way.

Heiko

* Re: [9fans] cron and lib/profile
@ 2007-03-27 17:33   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-03-27 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This is left over from when localcron was a separate program.
Then it didn't even create a new name space.  It just ran as
the local user in the name space in which it started.

It would probably make sense to change cron to do:

		putenv("service", "rx");
		execl("/bin/rc", "rc", "-lc", buf, nil);

to be more like rexexec.  Perhaps $service should be
"cron", but "rx" seems okay.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cron and lib/profile
@ 2007-03-27 19:05     ` gas
From: gas @ 2007-03-27 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Heiko, Russ - thanks. It works as expected with the explicit name. The
"local" made me somewhat confused; it just failed silently.

/ G.A.

kalender. Dessutom 250 MB gratis, virusscanning och antispam. Få den på: http://se.mail.yahoo.com