* [9fans] Plan 9 source tarballs or cvsup?
@ 2006-05-31 10:25 Robert Watson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Watson @ 2006-05-31 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear Plan9er's,

For the last couple of years, I've been running a kernel source code
reference, fxr.watson.org, that contains the kernel sources of a number of
operating systems (initially FreeBSD and Linux, now also many other BSD's,
Open Solaris, Darwin, etc).  I did this because I wanted a place I could go to
easily compare design approaches and implementations of kernels; however, it
appears I now have a pretty large number of regular visitors.

I've had a number of requests to include Plan 9 source on the site, but have
always stalled in adding it when reaching a somewhat critical question: how to
get the source code?  I must be approaching this the wrong way!  I've perused
the cm.bell-labs.com wiki a moderate amount, and discovered it's easy to
download a compiled ISO, to peruse the source online, or to find directions
for downloading the source using integrated Plan 9 tools.  I've been having
trouble finding a way to automatically update a local copy of the source on a
FreeBSD box (i.e., cvs cvsup, anonymous cvs, rsync, ..), which is what I need
in order to put it up on the web site.  That or a simple source tarball I can
update once in a while.

I'm probably being stupid, and have missed the patently obvious, and a pointer
at that obvious thing would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Robert N M Watson

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 source tarballs or cvsup?
@ 2006-05-31 10:55 ` Abhey Shah
       [not found] ` <000301c684a3$830b4f50$14aaa8c0@utelsystems.local>
From: Abhey Shah @ 2006-05-31 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
If you use a linux kernel greater then 2.6.14 then you should be able
to do something like this (you might need to use the numerical ip
address)
sudo mount -t 9p sources.cs.bell-labs.com /mnt/9
then cd /mnt/9/plan9/sys/src has the source code of the system with the
kernel code in 9

or download and install inferno and do mount -A
tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com!9fs /n/remote in a shell from within
inferno

Abhey

@ 2006-05-31 12:39   ` "Nils O. Selåsdal"
From: "Nils O. Selåsdal" @ 2006-05-31 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Abhey Shah wrote:

> Hi,
> If you use a linux kernel greater then 2.6.14 then you should be able to
> do something like this (you might need to use the numerical ip address)
> sudo mount -t 9p sources.cs.bell-labs.com /mnt/9
> then cd /mnt/9/plan9/sys/src has the source code of the system with the
> kernel code in 9
>
> or download and install inferno and do mount -A
> tcp!sources.cs.bell-labs.com!9fs /n/remote in a shell from within inferno

Other options would include crawling
http://cm.bell-labs.com/sources/plan9/sys/src/ once in a while,
though that might not be quite polite.

Or simply download,unpack, mount the ISO and copy the source from it.

@ 2006-05-31 14:54 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-05-31 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have arranged things so that a copy of the
Plan 9 kernel sources can be downloaded from
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/extra/9.tgz.
It is updated nightly, shortly after 2am (US Eastern).

Enjoy.
Russ