From: john@csplan9.rit.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] An unsuccessful attempt to install on Thinkpad T43
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:10:14 -0500	[thread overview]

> Hi,
>
> But even for the same install cd and partition scheme, the
> installation is success for the first time ( execpt that some files
> are missing when system is in use) and could not be booted at all for
> the second time.  This is really strange :(
>

> On Feb 19, 2008 4:52 PM, Alexander Sychev <santucco@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello!
>> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:55:14 +0300, Hongzheng Wang <wanghz@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > For boot method, since I have both Linux and XP on my laptop already,
>> > I choose grub as multiple boot manager.  That is, I select `plan9' as
>> > boot method when I am asked and don't install boot instructions into
>> > MBR.  And configure grub to use `chainloader +1' to boot Plan9.
>> >

>> AFAIK, Plan9 needs a first free partition for installation. I use Plan9 on
>> ThinkPad T40 installed in the first partition and boot it with LILO via
>> 'chain' rule.

First off, Plan 9 does not need to be on the first free partition. I
have it installed on the second partition on my laptop and it boots
fine.
As for the rest of your problems... I suggest getting the latest CD,
to start with. Then, under Linux, do this (if your Plan 9 partition
is /dev/hda1): "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=1024" to be on the
safe side. I've noticed that if you don't zero the disk, even if you
reinstall and have the installer format fossil etc., you'll end up
with all the old files still on your disk--highly annoying. After
you've zeroed the partition, you can try installing again.

Or, of course, you can try the lguest thing, but I for one like
running native.

Good luck!

John