* [9fans] Showing an image on an o/live window
@ 2012-05-19  4:53 kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2012-05-19  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi nemo,

You are doing server side work now, I got.

I wondered for a time how to show octopus.img on my
terminal's olive window.   Now, I got it.

The octopus.img is Plan9 format image originally sitts in
the /usr/octopus/port/live.
I copied this to /lib/o/octopus.img, alos to $home
After olive comes up, I issued the following series of commands
on a olive directory panel.
(1) !mkdir /mnt/ui/appl/image:logo
(2) !cp /usr/okamoto/octopus.img /mnt/ui/appl/image:logo/data
(3) !echo copyto /main/row:stats > /mnt/ui/appl/image:logo/ctl

Yes, the octopus image was shown on the top row, the second colomun,
right of "New" panel.   It's ok, however, why we need the third line?

Another one(not serious to me):
After copying octopus.img to /lib/o, the octopus image is shown
quickly in the center of olive window only just begining moment.
Is this your expected behaviour?

Sorry, you are now working on a server side, this is client side matter.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] Showing an image on an o/live window
@ 2012-05-19  4:59 ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2012-05-19  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

forgot one more thing.

I did the command
;page octopus.img
on the directory panel of /usr/okamoto on the terminal.

I got the octopus image on my PC (octopus server) side,
but not the terminal side.
My ubuntu has plan9port, and 'page' command can be
seen.

It' not easy to me to understand this behaviour...

@ 2012-05-19 10:21 ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2012-05-19 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 19, 2012, at 6:53 AM, kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp wrote:

> (1) !mkdir /mnt/ui/appl/image:logo
> (2) !cp /usr/okamoto/octopus.img /mnt/ui/appl/image:logo/data
> (3) !echo copyto /main/row:stats > /mnt/ui/appl/image:logo/ctl

1 and 2 create the widget and update it. but it's not shown anywhere.
3 links that widget to a tree shown by the "main" screen.
Apps can create their hierarchies and then decide which widgets to replicate
and where (to show them).

>  did the command
> ;page octopus.img
> on the directory panel of /usr/okamoto on the terminal.
>
> I got the octopus image on my PC (octopus server) side,
> but not the terminal side.

because you are not expected to use the PC for graphics. You asked
the PC to run page and it did that. Note that the rio you are likely to
run on the PC is not part of the octopus.

hth

* Re: [9fans] Showing an image on an o/live window
@ 2012-05-22  3:22   ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2012-05-22  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>  did the command
>> ;page octopus.img
>> on the directory panel of /usr/okamoto on the terminal.
>>
>> I got the octopus image on my PC (octopus server) side,
>> but not the terminal side.
>

> because you are not expected to use the PC for graphics. You asked
> the PC to run page and it did that. Note that the rio you are likely to
> run on the PC is not part of the octopus.

I'm still confusing.

The PC file tree is exported in the inferno environment, styx, so
the exported PC's (this case Ubuntu) root is /usr/octopus, but not
/ of the ubuntu machine.

I issued the ';page' command from 9front terminal, where ';' indicates
the native OS's command.   What is 'native' here?

Actually, when I issue '!' command on the same terminal,
olive try to find the comand under the _local_ /usr/octopus/dis
directory.   I this this is reasonable, but the ';' case is not.
How do you think?

@ 2012-05-22 12:29     ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2012-05-22 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I issued the ';page' command from 9front terminal, where ';' indicates
> the native OS's command.   What is 'native' here?

This may also be from the different version of inferno, too.
The $OCTOPUS/usr/octopus/port/lib/os.b file shows the
line of
system(xctx, cmd);
and the cmd= "os -d <dir> rc -c <cmd>" here.

According to my inferno man page, "os" command of the
inferno sh has -m mountpoint option, which we dont't use.
If that option is not used, the defdault is at /cmd directory
which would be linked to _local_ bin...

Too much complicated to me for now.

@ 2012-05-22 12:34       ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2012-05-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Oups!

> The $OCTOPUS/usr/octopus/port/lib/os.b
$OCTOPUS/usr/octopus/port/x/xex.b

sorry

@ 2012-05-22 12:49       ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2012-05-22 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

native there means in the host os of
the pc and the namespace you had there.

@ 2012-05-23  2:18         ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2012-05-23  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

By the way, have you tried to write, say, canvas panel?

Kenji