* [9fans] zonetransfer _from_ plan9
@ 2006-03-16 23:50 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-03-16 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'am struggling to get dns zonetransfers working from
plan9 to a Unix box.

The Unix box is one of the dnsslave= entries so it should
be alowed to do the transfer. I get a valid packet TCP packet
back, it just contains zero answers to my query.

A snippet of my /lib/ndb/local - below.
ndb/dnsquery seems to show sensible data - below.

I am running dns as
	ndb/dns -rns

I tried to follow the code in dnstcp but got lost.

Anything obvious or shall I return to the maze of twisty
passages that all look the same?

-Steve

-------------------

dom=quintile.net soa=
	refresh=3600 ttl=3600
	ns=ns.quintile.net
	ns=ns0.xxxx.com
	ns=ns1.xxxx.net
	ns=ns2.xxxx.net
	fs=fs.quintile.net
	cpu=cpu.quintile.net
	auth=auth.quintile.net
	mb=postmaster@quintile.net
	dnsslave=axfrbot.xxxx.net
	dnsslave=felix.quintile.net # for debug from home
	mx=mail.quintile.net prof=10
	mx=mxbackup.xxxx.net prof=20

dom=felix.quintile.net ip=86.7.66.235

ndb/dnsquery
> quintile.net all
quintile.net soa	ns.quintile.net postmaster.quintile.net 1142549687 3600 3600 86400 3600 axfrbot.xxxx.net felix.quintile.net
quintile.net ns	ns.quintile.net
quintile.net ns	ns0.xxxx.com
quintile.net ns	ns1.xxxx.net
quintile.net ns	ns2.xxxx.net
quintile.net mx	1 mail.quintile.net
quintile.net mx	1 mxbackup.xxxx.net

* Re: [9fans] zonetransfer _from_ plan9
@ 2006-03-17 13:51 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-03-17 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

one thing i missed, dnstcp is a seperate program which is run
for each incoming tcp query. i pretty sure ndb does not consult
the running dns, but reads the ndb files from disk.

thus if there happen to be modifications to the db which are
not in the db files, you're not going to see them with an AXFR.

this isn't how the p9p ndb/dns works. it takes -tT [tcp listen address].
it uses the in-memory version of the db and doesn't have to reread
the databases for each request.

- erik

@ 2006-03-17 13:44 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-03-17 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you're right. i'm suffering from yoda-think.

your plan 9 server (master) should be sending the slaves a NOTIFY
message for changes. dnstcp should get the AXFR that comes back
from the unix slave. perhaps you could put a syslog line in dnstcp
to make sure it's being run. i'd try this to make sure the AXFR is
coming back:

dblookup.c:197,202 - dblookup.c~steve:197,203
  		f = cnamerr;
  		break;
  	case Taxfr:
+ 		syslog(0, "dnsaxfr", "dnsaxfr(db=%s, name=%s)", db, name);
  	case Tixfr:
  		return doaxfr(db, name);
  	default:

(make sure you touch /sys/log/dnsaxfr first.)

- erik

@ 2006-03-17  9:23   ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-03-17  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've been using zonefresh to act as a secondary for friends with Unix
systems for some months.

I haven't tried dns update nor notification to push changes for my
domains out to (Unix) secondaries.  Ordinary primary dns service from
Plan 9 just works to my secondaries.

* Re: [9fans] zonetransfer _from_ plan9
@ 2006-03-17  8:55 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-03-17  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2006-03-17  0:59 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-03-17  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you need the arguments  -z zonerefreshprog set for ndb/dns
to send a notification. you'll probablly need to roll your own zonerefreshprog.
(there isn't one in the distribution.)