* Re: Re: [9fans] Removing grub after installing Plan 9
@ 2004-06-16  3:13 fu
From: fu @ 2004-06-16  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Don`t discount Grub, it is very strong and plan9 friendly, It installs to the MBR, fdisk on linux has an option to clear it , a windows fdisk will erase it with fdisk /mbr , or you can dd 512 out of /dev/zero to the MBR.
For GRUB all you need is to define the root partition for 9

In the grub shell try:

root (hd0,0)  /*or what ever your 9 part is */
rootnoverify
chainloader +1
boot

@ 2004-06-16  3:20 ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-06-16  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Don`t discount Grub,

I think developper just don't have time to do it.
If someone wants to use grub, s/he can do it, I suppose.

Kenji

* Re: Re: [9fans] Removing grub after installing Plan 9
@ 2004-06-16  3:28 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-16  3:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Grub's great.  I use it every day.
But if all you run on your machine is
Plan 9, you have no need for it.

Russ

* Re: Re: [9fans] Removing grub after installing Plan 9
@ 2004-06-16  4:34   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-06-16  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But if all you run on your machine is
> Plan 9, you have no need for it.

Probably, most of 'Plan 9 user' do install it, and touch it
for a while like now, durin summer vacation, and forget it
soon...  ☺

By the way, Russ are you using Linux not BSDs?

Kenji