I should be more complete. SPF isn't a panacea. There are a lot of options but the basic function of SPF is to stick into DNS the IP addresses of the mail servers that can send mail from a particular domain. If you see mail from my home machine that says its from aol.com, you dump it into the bit bucket. ALL of the spam that makes it through my filter has faked From: addresses since I use a white list. Most of my spam that gets rejected also has faked From: addresses. It thus forces you to always go through a server that is authorized to send mail from your domain. Therefore, when you're off visiting somewhere, you still have to use your own domain's smtp server. That might not be possible if you're behind a firewall. For example, at Lucent one cannot make smtp connections out of the company. One must use internal servers. Therefore, russ couldn't send messages from here as rsc@swtch.com or I as presotto@closedmind.org since we'ld have to do through lucent servers. It does have the advantage that the current viruses would have a hard time. They normally look into your Outlook address file and send mail from your machine as a myriad of different people that you have contacted. If most domains used SPF then the best they could do would be to send mail through their dedicated servers as themselves (or at worst someone in their home domain). This really reduces the distributed spreading power of viruses that use email. The dedicated servers usually find out about viruses early and filter hard. In essence, a virus would stop spreading as soon as aol, comcase, yahoo, etc figured out it existed. Of course, that will just select for sneakier viruses, but the sneakier, in general, the more complex and hence the more fragile.