From: David Presotto <presotto@closedmind.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: RE: [9fans] dhcp & metanames
Date: Sun,  7 Mar 2004 08:35:32 -0500	[thread overview]

There's no reason for the RTC to be in local time.  One way
to compensate is to reset it to GMT.  However, if you're sharing
a clock with Windows, you're stuck with their idiocy (i.e. a clock
that is always at the wrong time until the system resets it if you
live in a world with daylight savings time).

Timesync sets the os's view of time.  With -r it sets time from the
RTC rather than a network source and stays synced with it.  With -rL
it sets from the RTC and assumes the RTC is in local time.  Timesync never
sets the RTC.

This means that the system, by reading the RTC on boot, will be in
the wrong time zone till timesync gets in there.  Boot can't do
any better because the file system with the timezone files  hasn't
started yet at that point.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2942 bytes --]

From: "Tiit Lankots" <t.lankots@aprote.ee>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:15:37 +0200

> /net/ndb is used by cs and dns before /lib/ndb.  If you have
> an entry for
> the network in /lib/ndb/local with the smtp=, it will be found.

It was _not_ found. That's the whole problem that made me wonder
if /lib/ndb/local is consulted at all. Later I realised that the search
is probably conducted by IP address, but there's no address
given in /lib/ndb/local 'cos its pointless.

I solved the problem by defining a network with the correct parameters.

OT: How to compensate for the fact that the real-time clock is in local time?
date(1) and friends constantly show me the time in GMT, although I've set
/adm/timezone/local.
Also, how does timesync(8) fit into the picture? I mean, if I've set it up to
synchronise with a NTP server, is the RTC updated into GMT? Presumably
not if the -L flag is given?

It's a multiboot machine and i'd like to keep the RTC local.