* [9fans] recompiling gs
@ 2009-01-26  3:19 john
From: john @ 2009-01-26  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Last year, I set up my old Okidata Microline 320 dot-matrix printer on
Plan 9 (text-only print, no postscript as I recall), but in the time
since then my old hard drive has failed and I've had to get a new
system set up.  This time, I'd like to try getting it to print with gs
so I can have a few amenities.

It looks like I'll want to use the okiibm driver, so I put that in the
DRIVERS= section of /sys/src/cmd/gs/mkfile, ran mk fake-make and then
mk install.  gs successfully built, but gs -h doesn't show okiibm
among the available devices.  Have I missed a step here?

Thanks

John Floren

* Re: [9fans] recompiling gs
@ 2009-01-26 20:17 ` john
From: john @ 2009-01-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Last year, I set up my old Okidata Microline 320 dot-matrix printer on
> Plan 9 (text-only print, no postscript as I recall), but in the time
> since then my old hard drive has failed and I've had to get a new
> system set up.  This time, I'd like to try getting it to print with gs
> so I can have a few amenities.
>
> It looks like I'll want to use the okiibm driver, so I put that in the
> DRIVERS= section of /sys/src/cmd/gs/mkfile, ran mk fake-make and then
> mk install.  gs successfully built, but gs -h doesn't show okiibm
> among the available devices.  Have I missed a step here?
>

> Thanks
>
> John Floren

I think I've solved the problem by changing the mkfile from:

src/plan9.mak:	src/unixansi.mak /sys/src/cmd/gs/contrib9.mak

src/plan9.mak: src/unixansi.mak /sys/src/cmd/gs/contrib9.mak\
src/contrib.mak

in addition to adding okiibm to the DRIVERS section.  Now 'gs -h'
includes okiibm, and a remotely-performed lp command has completed
without errors; when I get home at 6 I'll be able to see if it worked
or not.

John

* Re: [9fans] recompiling gs
@ 2009-01-26 20:31   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-01-26 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That dot-matrix is going to convert your hearing system into a notch
filter very quickly :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] recompiling gs
@ 2009-01-26 20:40     ` john
From: john @ 2009-01-26 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> That dot-matrix is going to convert your hearing system into a notch
> filter very quickly :-)
>
> ron

Good, then I'll be able to use my ADM-3A without getting a headache
from the extremely high pitched flyback noise!

I think this is a perfect opportunity to make myself an alarm clock...
just print out the coutput of "calendar" every morning, maybe along
with the latest venti score.  I've got about 4 boxes of dot-matrix
paper and a bunch of ribbons, why not?

John