* [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-08 10:57 Maurizio Boriani
From: Maurizio Boriani @ 2021-04-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
  is there somewhere in plan9 code base (9front, plan9port etc...) the
source code of refer and/or bib? I found many references to 'em but
didn't found the code or programs.

Thanks,

bye

--
Maurizio Boriani
PGP key: 0xCC0FBF8F

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-08 11:27 ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-04-08 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

08.04.2021 12:57:15 Maurizio Boriani <baux@boriani.cloud>:
>   is there somewhere in plan9 code base (9front, plan9port etc...) the
> source code of refer and/or bib? I found many references to 'em but
> didn't found the code or programs.

I got mine from contrib:

https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/contrib_index/index.html
(EXTRA section, by charles forsyth)

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-08 11:45 ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2021-04-08 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Maurizio Boriani <baux@boriani.cloud> wrote:

> Hi,
>   is there somewhere in plan9 code base (9front, plan9port etc...) the
> source code of refer and/or bib? I found many references to 'em but
> didn't found the code or programs.

The Research Unix versions can be found in the TUHS archives (see
tuhs.org).  I suspect that the Heirloom Troff versions could also
be made to work.

HTH,

Arnold

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 14:39   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-04-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I still use it. I think it differs in many ways from the original version
(the Caldera licence was to allow the 7th Edition code to be used in 2002).
Not least that it's formatted and arranged to be readable. It made some
things dynamic so it could handle large reference libraries.
There were bug fixes.
I also replaced the original's internal fgrep implementation by the
Aho-Corasick as developed in the paper.

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
wrote:

> 08.04.2021 12:57:15 Maurizio Boriani <baux@boriani.cloud>:
> >   is there somewhere in plan9 code base (9front, plan9port etc...) the
> > source code of refer and/or bib? I found many references to 'em but
> > didn't found the code or programs.
>
> I got mine from contrib:
>
> https://9p.io/wiki/plan9/contrib_index/index.html
> (EXTRA section, by charles forsyth)
>
> sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 15:41     ` Maurizio Boriani
From: Maurizio Boriani @ 2021-04-09 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Charles Forsyth writes:

> I still use it. I think it differs in many ways from the original
> version

the version you contributed in extra/refer.tgz ?

Thanks,

best regards.

--
Maurizio Boriani
PGP key: 0xCC0FBF8F

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 16:04     ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-04-09 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

09.04.2021 16:39:53 Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com>:
> I still use it. I think it differs in many ways from the original
> version (the Caldera licence was to allow the 7th Edition code to be
> used in 2002).

Nice to read from you!

I personally found the code hard to read, but I feel it's just normal for
the complexity of the task. Managing references is harder than it may
sound, I'm sure.

I used your refer version for my two last theses in university, I just
wished it had a native solution for double references. I needed the
reference as footnotes in the text, as well as at the very end of the
thesis under a bibliography/literature section. Refer can do both, but
not simultaneously. I built a rc script around this which calls refer
twice and merges the results, which is a very hacky solution... but it
worked.

I like how refer embeds nicely into Plan 9 (with calls like refer/refer).

(This reminds me, I should finish my wwb port, but that's offtopic.)

Thanks for porting refer. Again, I wish we had some easier way to manage
contrib packages, e.g. by having repositories and just clone and mk them.
I never know which package is still supported and supposed to work and
which ones are legacy and don't work.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 16:18       ` Maurizio Boriani
From: Maurizio Boriani @ 2021-04-09 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

sirjofri writes:

> (This reminds me, I should finish my wwb port, but that's offtopic.)

may be offtopic but now I'm just curious :-) what's wwb ?

thanks,

--
Maurizio Boriani
PGP key: 0xCC0FBF8F

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 16:25         ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2021-04-09 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> may be offtopic but now I'm just curious :-) what's wwb ?

Writer's Workbench.

https://archive.org/details/wwb-user

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 17:57           ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-04-09 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

09.04.2021 18:25:32 David du Colombier <0intro@gmail.com>:
>> may be offtopic but now I'm just curious :-) what's wwb ?
>
> Writer's Workbench.

Writer's Workbench

https://git.sr.ht/~sirjofri/wwb9

(Works on 9, but I need to make it better for different platforms and
some tools need adjustments. Send patches.)

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 19:51       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2021-04-09 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I personally found the code hard to read,

The original looked like this:

tabs (sv, line)
    char *sv[], *line;
{
char *p;
int n 0;
sv[n++] = line;
for( p= line; *p; p++)
    {
    if (*p == '\n')
        {
        *p=0;
        sv[n++] = p+1;
        }
    }
return(n-1);
}
class (nt, tv)
    char *tv[];
{
if (hastype (nt, tv, 'J'))
    return("1 journal-article");
if (hastype (nt, tv, 'B'))
    return("3 article-in-book");
if (hastype (nt, tv, 'R'))
    return ("4 tech-report");
if (hastype (nt, tv, 'G'))
    return ("4 tech-report");
if (hastype (nt, tv, 'I'))
    return("2 book");
if (hastype (nt, tv,'M'))
    return ("5 bell-tm");
return("0 other");
}

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 20:37         ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-04-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

09.04.2021 21:51:50 Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com>:
>> I personally found the code hard to read,
>
> The original looked like this:

Yeah, I've seen the original wwb Unix V10 code. Looks very similar...

But still I'm surprised I got it to compile without many adjustments.
Most changes were pure syntax changes.

If someone's interested, you can compare my source with the v10 code at
tuhs. I didn't touch anything I didn't need to.

sirjofri

* Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
@ 2021-04-09 21:45             ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2021-04-09 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Apr 9, 2021, at 12:57 PM, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de> wrote:
>
> Writer's Workbench
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~sirjofri/wwb9
>
> (Works on 9, but I need to make it better for different platforms and some tools need adjustments. Send patches.)

What exactly is the license?  Even just reading code of unclear license could get many people in trouble.

* Re: [9fans] Writer's Workbench (was: troff refer and bib)
@ 2021-04-09 22:17               ` sirjofri
From: sirjofri @ 2021-04-09 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

09.04.2021 23:45:47 Xiao-Yong Jin <meta.jxy@gmail.com>:
>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 12:57 PM, sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Writer's Workbench
>>
>> https://git.sr.ht/~sirjofri/wwb9
>>
>> (Works on 9, but I need to make it better for different platforms and
>> some tools need adjustments. Send patches.)
>
> What exactly is the license?  Even just reading code of unclear license
> could get many people in trouble.

TL;DR: "non-commercial
copying, distribution, performance, display or creation of derivative
works" is allowed.

Sadly the license is not open-source! That's why I added the note and
didn't change much, especially not the license notes. I also didn't add
license information on purpose, so people like you will have to ask and
search for more info.

See this document for more info about why I felt free to port it:
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/Research/Norman_v9/statement_regarding_Unix_3-7-17.pdf

"will not assert its copyright rights with respect to any non-commercial
copying, distribution, performance, display or creation of derivative
works"

If I understand that correctly I should be fine and the distribution of
the port is legal under the mentioned terms, but of course I cannot
simply change the license. It is _not_ my code nor my software, I just
made it work on 9 and added some rc files. My additions can be considered
as open source, but I'm not sure if I can just state that in the repo.

I should add some notes about the original source and the statement, I
think.

I hope this helps. I don't think I can help more than that, and Ianal. If
you need help with the software you can ask, of course.

When testing, I should mention it works on 9front. I didn't test it on
any other fork, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

sirjofri

Btw I'd love to release it under an open source license, if I can. These
tools are old, but still helpful and can be used in comparison with
modern tools, maybe even in combination and for developing better tools
in the future.