* [9fans] 9atom boot panic on Intel Desktop Board D410PT
@ 2010-05-28 21:16 Sean Caron
From: Sean Caron @ 2010-05-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: scaron

Hi all,

I picked up an Intel Desktop Board D410PT today with the intention of
using it
to run 9atom but I am finding that it panics on boot regardless of any
switches
I might set in the BIOS:

PBS1...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E00
pcirouting: South bridge 8086, 27BC not found
cpu0: 1668 MHz Atom loop 57601
apm ax=10 cx=14 dx=4150 di=1200 ebx=469 esi=0
found 16 e820 entries
panic: floppypos: zero geometry

Press almost any key to reset..

I am a little surprised because other NM10 chipset boards have been
reported to
work on the site, and even the Intel Desktop Board D510MO is rumored to
work,
which is a fairly close cousin of this D410PT.

Has anyone encountered this before or am I out of luck?

Best,

-Sean

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot panic on Intel Desktop Board D410PT
@ 2010-05-29 14:01 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2010-05-29 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scaron, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Disable the floppy controller?

@ 2010-05-29 20:01   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-29 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leimy2k, scaron, 9fans

> Disable the floppy controller?
>
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Sean Caron <scaron@umich.edu> wrote:

[...]
> > panic: floppypos: zero geometry
> >
> > Press almost any key to reset..
>
> > Has anyone encountered this before or am I out of luck?

i'm guessing that you have a funny value in nvram.
it shouldn't be hard to fix.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] 9atom boot panic on Intel Desktop Board D410PT
@ 2010-05-29 20:11     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-05-29 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Disable the floppy controller?
> >
> > On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Sean Caron <scaron@umich.edu> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > > panic: floppypos: zero geometry
> > >
> > > Press almost any key to reset..
> >
> > > Has anyone encountered this before or am I out of luck?
>
> i'm guessing that you have a funny value in nvram.
> it shouldn't be hard to fix.

i forgot the main bit!

disabling the floppy controller (if it has one)
won't help; the floppy controller is assumed
to exist.

- erik