* [9fans] G3 Plan 9 installation.
@ 2004-09-22 11:33 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-09-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Everyone,
I'd like to install Plan 9 on a G3 233 MHz iMac. Any pointers on how
to do this? Or any pitfalls that I should be aware of beforehand. Btw,
I'd be happy to just have it as a CPU server. Thanks in advance.

--Vester "Vic" Thacker

* Re: [9fans] G3 Plan 9 installation.
@ 2004-09-22 19:10 ` Joseph Holsten
From: Joseph Holsten @ 2004-09-22 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vester Thacker, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I can't offer advice, but second that request. Anyone with experience
setting up plan 9 on mac hardware, please let us know. Although just
wingin' it without a plan sounds like so much fun...

------------ Nosce Te Ipsum ------------
Joseph A. P. Holsten     pantosys@gmail.com

* Re: [9fans] G3 Plan 9 installation.
@ 2004-09-24  8:55 ` Enrique Soriano
From: Enrique Soriano @ 2004-09-24  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I'd like to install Plan 9 on a G3 233 MHz iMac. Any pointers on how
> to do this? Or any pitfalls that I should be aware of beforehand. Btw,
> I'd be happy to just have it as a CPU server. Thanks in advance.

I'm using Plan9 on VirtualPC 6.0 (x86 virtual machine for PPC)
in a Powerbook G4, and it is  terribly slow.

VirtualPC 7.0 has been released, but I haven't used it yet.

I have never tried to use the Plan 9 PPC port, I don't know if
this port works in up-to-date macs.

Regards,
Q.

* Re: [9fans] G3 Plan 9 installation.
@ 2004-09-27  4:49 Ben Huntsman
From: Ben Huntsman @ 2004-09-27  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It's my understanding that the PPC port was designed for Bell Labs custom systems that just happened to use the PPC CPU.  I doubt you could get it to run on the mac unless you wrote drivers for apple-specific hardware...

For starters, though, Command-Option-O-F at startup will drop your new-world (current mac PPC systems) macintosh into Open Firmware.  From there you can specify a different boot file from the standard OS X...  You can also poke around at your PCI devices

Good luck!

-Ben