From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] suggestion : new service targets for plan9
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 10:49:10 -0500	[thread overview]

Quoth ibrahim via 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>:
> What I suggest is a lower level interface to use the framebuffer
> directly and I think devdraw (memdraw, memlayer) is too high level and
> rio oriented.

I don't think this is desirable.

Every single program uses devdraw directly. Rio is
just another devdraw client.

> If you use devdraw as a framebuffer than the only
> functions you need from devdraw are initdraw, loadimage and flushimage
> which internally use memdraw and memlayer in a way that decreases
> performance.  Also the transfer of images in this way is expensive
> (regarding time) a screen image is at least copied two times.

Then don't use it as a framebuffer -- Framebuffers
are *already* a poor fit for modern hardware.

Create an image, draw into it, and reuse it.

The devdraw model, where textures are uploaded and
reused, isn't ideal for modern GPUs, but it's far
closer to what is needed, and far easier to accelerate,
than software rendering.

> So by defining a lower level we could improve the
> performance of rendering by a factor of two.

While tying tying the code to an unaccelerated model
that is not usable over the network.