On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM, erik quanstrom wrote: > no (serious) physicist since newton or since maxwell has ignored their > work. no mathematician since newton or hilbert has ignored their > work. computer science seems exceptional to me in this regard; > we have learned many things that don't work, but seldom seem to > recall the lessons learned. > > Hmm, not so sure about that. Especially in maths it took centuries for people to get to a notation that appears to have settled into something close to standard. But I also think that the "acceleration of the world" means that a week in the lab is now generally accepted to always be better that a day in the library. No thinking allowed, just get it done. Cynically yours, Robby