* [9fans] OT: the simplest public key encryption code...
@ 2006-10-04 12:00 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-10-04 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I ask here as those who read this list have an understanding of the word simple.

I am after some very simple public key encryption code which I intend to use to
encrypt the md5 of a license file on an embedded system - so in needs to be
really small and simple.

I am tempeted to use the plan9 RSA code, but is there somthing else even simpler
about? Perhaps less secure than RSA but stronger than a password embedded in
the code, XORed with 0xdeadbeef :-)

Anyone seen anything on the net?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] OT: the simplest public key encryption code...
@ 2006-10-04 15:49 ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-10-04 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

TEA and XTEA are really, really simple and XTEA is resonably secure.
XXTEA & Block TEA have weaknesses, but XTEA should be simple enough &
fast enough for an embedded system.
Good Luck,
 -- Sztefan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTEA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Encryption_Algorithm

--
If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come to

-- Günter Grass

* Re: [9fans] OT: the simplest public key encryption code...
@ 2006-10-04 17:29   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-10-04 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the pointers guys but I believe TEA and blowfish are
not public key systems, perhaps my terminology is broken, I am after
a twin key system, seperate and different encryption and decryption
keys.

somthing like RSA or eliptic curves...

@ 2006-10-04 17:41     ` LiteStar numnums
From: LiteStar numnums @ 2006-10-04 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ahh. No, neither TEA nor XTEA  fit that category.
 I'll take the rest to a private message...

--

@ 2006-10-06  7:51       ` bituman
From: bituman @ 2006-10-06  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

LiteStar numnums wrote:
> Ahh. No, neither TEA nor XTEA  fit that category.
>  I'll take the rest to a private message...
> On 10/4/06, *Steve Simon* < steve@quintile.net
> <mailto:steve@quintile.net>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the pointers guys but I believe TEA and blowfish are
>     not public key systems, perhaps my terminology is broken, I am after
>     a twin key system, seperate and different encryption and decryption
>     keys.
>
>     somthing like RSA or eliptic curves...
>
>     -Steve
>

> --
> If work and leisure are soon to be subordinated to this one utopian
> principle -- absolute busyness -- then utopia and melancholy will come
> to coincide: an age without conflict will dawn, perpetually busy --
> and without consciousness.
>
> -- Günter Grass
Id be glad if you forwarded those messages to me : ) im also interested.
Not a real project just curiosity.
Thank you
Sandor Nagy