From: quanstro@quanstro.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] strangely typed functions in standard library
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 23:43:34 -0500	[thread overview]

of course, how an array of Runes is stored is a different issue from how a
Rune argument is passed on the stack (or in a register).

don't consider this advocacy, but what would break if runes were expanded
to 32 bits?  i think that font handling would need some limits changed,
chartorune and runetochar would need to be modified and some enum
constants in libc.h would need to be changed.  this seems to me to be small
potatoes in comparison to dealing with issues lurking within the basic plane
like character composition.

rob has suggested passing uncomposed characters to libdraw and handling
the problem there.  but there's one problem with that.  how do you stick
a nonspacing horn onto an arbitrary letter?  how do you put a grave accent
on top of that?  (transliterations of cryllic to the roman alphabet use some
double- and triple- accented letters which do not exist in precombined form
within unicode.)

i modified p9p libdraw at one point to draw combining characters.  (i.e. compose
a zero-width character on top of the previous character.) the results
were not legible.  a+diaresis may have been marginal buit A + " was mud.

this is really annoying.  characters should not combine.  the character-composition
algorithims of tex+metafont shouldn't come hidden within a character set.

(well that's my 2¢, anyway.  maybe somebody has an idea on how to manage these
issues.)

- erik

p.s. how would you do this?

> i'd like to map them to RFat ... something unassigned in
> 0xFF.. space.

the problem is that there's not enough free space in the basic plane. and as usual
with these things invention is the mother of all necessity.