* Re: [9fans] Fossil; is the time right?
@ 2003-03-14 15:10 rog
From: rog @ 2003-03-14 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> But I know that if I dont sync by hand using the console
> I loose some blocks (some of the last changes may be missing).

that's understandable.  at least in that case at least the directory
structure should remain intact.  (a sync for venti and for fossil that
blocked until all writes were complete would be helpful, i guess).

i was mostly concerned about the possibility that one might
potentially lose a whole tree if the block representing the root of
that tree was lost in transit.

* Re: [9fans] Fossil; is the time right?
@ 2003-03-14 13:39 rog
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: rog @ 2003-03-14 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's been stable for me...  for all of two days, running it on my
laptop :-).  it's survived lots of rebooting, and kernel crashing,
with no probs, as advertised.

it seems quite a lot slower than kfs (a naive measurement showed that
it read 15MB 50% slower than kfs).  presumably this will change if
it gets a read cache.

i have one query about its integrity: soft updates preserve the
integrity of the write buffer; venti is log structured, and has no
problem with being killed.

however, i wonder if it's possible to "lose" a block in between fossil
and venti if one is running venti -w.  e.g.  fossil writes a block to
venti, marks it as archived, reuses that block, and then the machine
crashes before venti has got around to actually writing the block.

how does fossil guard against such an eventuality?

  cheers,
    rog.

* [9fans] Fossil; is the time right?
@ 2003-03-14  9:59 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-03-14  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Okay, I'm going to be setting up a new file server for home in the next
week or so.  What's the official recommendation at this point: Should I
go with Fossil, or with the current fileserver?  Is Fossil considered
stable enough?  Is the on-disk format likely to change a lot?  (Not a
huge deal, but something that would necessitate inconvenient recoveries
from venti.)  When does Bell Labs plan to become fossilized?  Thanks.

	- Dan C.