On 7/26/05, Ronald G. Minnich wrote: > Overall, I've never used anything I like quite as much as that. Not even > OSX can compare -- OSX is just about as painful as any standard Unix for > adding a new printer. The trick with OSX is to not use it as Apple intended. If you have a single CUPS-based print server (OSX or otherwise), set your ACLs and turn browsing on, it'll just happen. At home I have a Linux box with a crappy DeskJet 400, and from our iBooks I think the only thing I had to do client-side (using Terminal) was to turn browsing on. As long as the server is on, if you're in the house the printer shows up on the list. If you're at work or on the road, it doesn't. Magic. It took longer to sift the PPD on the server to force black and white as the default than it did to get reliable, convenient printing. But stay away from Apple's GUI. Even on OSX I use the local Web interface if I have to add a new printer (which isn't fun for newbies, either, but at least you know what you're going to get). Should be http://localhost:631. What I dislike about Windows printing is that the client shouldn't need a driver. Every client should be able to generate PCL or PostScript or HP-GL and have some convenient way to find out what printer features are available. I've done several Windows printing hacks rolling my own PostScript miniport drivers that just uses the Windows built-in PostScript engine and loads the correct PPD for the printer, and though setting the printer preferences isn't as intuitive as with some other drivers, it's consistent, and you can get huge stability by having just a single (Microsoft-written) print driver loaded. In fact, here's one I use often, Adobe's Acrobat Distiller PPD omitted (though freely available on their Web site). At work we use Linux print queues to generate PDFs server-side and mail them back to the users, and most PostScript printers won't let you put color ink corner to corner. So, Adobe's PPD, Microsoft's driver. One INF and one PPD file and away you go. Change the strings and the PPD for the printer of your choice. Filename changed for your protection. :) It would be relatively easy for a vendor like MS to one-up CUPS, clean up their print dialogs, keep PPDs or their equivalent on the printer share and really have a unified print driver, at least client-side. -Jack