i use il on nearly all my/our systems for file service. indeed, given that two of them use /sys/src/fs as kernel and one of those has a jukebox, that's nearly essential, but even otherwise, i'm not convinced that il can't be made to outperform tcp/ip on some network/transport types (eg, because of Ildataquery), and compared to some code modules that need to be kept compiling, it's anyway not all that big. apart from il, i have used telnet (with the telnet protocol) over ILAP and also in environments where /net.alt was indeed a distinct stack, amongst others.