* [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21  7:01 Charles Forsyth
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2006-12-21  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

once bsd unix used
	9fs           stream tcp   nowait root   /bin/9/u9fs u9fs

and xinetd made it a little bit more elaborate,
but apple decided to combine init, x?inetd and cron
(because they all start programs!) so in that dialect we must now say

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Label</key>
	<string>com.bell-labs.plan9.u9fs</string>
	<key>Program</key>
	<string>/usr/bin/u9fs</string>
	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
	<array>
		<string>u9fs</string>
		<string>-l</string>
		<string>/var/log/u9fs.log</string>
	</array>
	<key>Sockets</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Listeners</key>
		<dict>
			<key>SockServiceName</key>
			<string>9pfs</string>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>inetdCompatibility</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Wait</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
</dict>

there are probably lots of useful options and better translations
but at least it got me past that point last week.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 10:05 ` Gorka guardiola
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-12-21 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks god XML made it so much more readable and
easy to write now. I was deeply scared by the one line
lack of structure :-).

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 12:55 ` Brantley Coile
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-12-21 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Great timing!  I just changed to a new Mac and was looking
for a way to do this.  I wound up sticking /usr/sbin/xinetd into rc.local.

Where do I put the stuff below?

> once bsd unix used
> 	9fs           stream tcp   nowait root   /bin/9/u9fs u9fs
>
> and xinetd made it a little bit more elaborate,
> but apple decided to combine init, x?inetd and cron
> (because they all start programs!) so in that dialect we must now say
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
> 	<key>Label</key>
> 	<string>com.bell-labs.plan9.u9fs</string>
> 	<key>Program</key>
> 	<string>/usr/bin/u9fs</string>
> 	<key>ProgramArguments</key>
> 	<array>
> 		<string>u9fs</string>
> 		<string>-l</string>
> 		<string>/var/log/u9fs.log</string>
> 	</array>
> 	<key>Sockets</key>
> 	<dict>
> 		<key>Listeners</key>
> 		<dict>
> 			<key>SockServiceName</key>
> 			<string>9pfs</string>
> 		</dict>
> 	</dict>
> 	<key>inetdCompatibility</key>
> 	<dict>
> 		<key>Wait</key>
> 		<false/>
> 	</dict>
> </dict>
>
> there are probably lots of useful options and better translations
> but at least it got me past that point last week.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 12:57 ` Brantley Coile
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-12-21 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> but apple decided to combine init, x?inetd and cron
> (because they all start programs!) so in that dialect we must now say

I wonder why the didn't require the small amount of real
information in the file to be rot13'ed.  ☺
I can almost read this version.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 13:04   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-12-21 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/21/06, Brantley Coile <brantley@coraid.com> wrote:
> Where do I put the stuff below?

note the subject line. launchd will scan /Library/LaunchAgents and
/System/Library/LaunchAgents (i think also some other places?
LaunchDaemons, or some such?). user-added ones go in
/Library/LaunchAgents.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-21 14:12 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-12-21 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> but apple decided to combine init, x?inetd and cron
> (because they all start programs!)

too bad they forgot sh!

russ

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 14:58   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2006-12-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/21/06, Gorka guardiola <paurea@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks god XML made it so much more readable and
> easy to write now. I was deeply scared by the one line
> lack of structure :-).

it was interesting to watch 300 bytes of xen config turn into 3000
bytes of unreadable xml.

"XML happens"

of course , the gmail ads show this:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/07/10/kip.html

at which point my brain starts to hurt.

ron

ron

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 15:05   ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2006-12-21 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/21/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > but apple decided to combine init, x?inetd and cron
> > (because they all start programs!)
>
> too bad they forgot sh!

the GNU folks are progressively cramming as much of the system as they
can into bash. eventually, we're only going to have two programs.
bringing the two together is the Grand Unified Theory of modern unix.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 15:06     ` Martin Neubauer
From: Martin Neubauer @ 2006-12-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* ron minnich (rminnich@gmail.com) wrote:
> of course , the gmail ads show this:
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/07/10/kip.html
>
> at which point my brain starts to hurt.

No wonder. The first paragraph states ``This month we will continue in that
vein''. 'Nuff said.

Martin

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 15:25     ` Rodrigo Miranda
From: Rodrigo Miranda @ 2006-12-21 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

They do try...

http://www.informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html

[]'s

Rodrigo

@ 2006-12-21 15:32   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2006-12-21 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

<omitted colorful languague goes here>

So, that 9pfs.plist is in the above directory, I rebooted and it don't
see a tcp port 564 open in listen mode.  What mode does the plist file need?
Anything else needed?  Log message anywhere?

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 15:41       ` Denis Grelich
From: Denis Grelich @ 2006-12-21 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm not sure whether this one is better:

	http://perllinux.sourceforge.net/

Greetings
Denis

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:25:47 -0200
"Rodrigo Miranda" <rodrigo.c.miranda@gmail.com> wrote:
> They do try...
>
> http://www.informatimago.com/linux/emacs-on-user-mode-linux.html
>
> []'s
>
> Rodrigo

> > > too bad they forgot sh!
> >
> > the GNU folks are progressively cramming as much of the system as
> > they can into bash. eventually, we're only going to have two
> > programs. bringing the two together is the Grand Unified Theory of
> > modern unix.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-21 16:52 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-12-21 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can enable xinetd in launchd and do it the old way if you choose.
At least that used to be the case.

@ 2006-12-21 17:17   ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2006-12-21 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>You can enable xinetd in launchd and do it the old way if you choose.
>At least that used to be the case.

that's what it did on my powerpc system when i upgraded it to 10.4,
but on the newer x86 one i wanted to fit in with any newer scheme(s),
and not change things like that.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 20:03   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-12-21 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Gorka guardiola wrote:

> Thanks god XML made it so much more readable and
> easy to write now. I was deeply scared by the one line
> lack of structure :-).

launchd just proves that Microsoft has indeed infiltrated the Darwin
development team; it's the first step along the road of turning UNIX into
Windows.

The good news is that you can ignore it.  It's trivial to twist up a
generic inetd and cron from the BSD sources.

--lyndon

   NT as a file server is faster than a dead bat carrying Post-It notes
   underwater. But not by much.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-12-29  5:24 ` kensmith p
From: kensmith p @ 2006-12-29  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Charles, I am new to limbo programming. Can you please give some
small sample program for exception handling to understand the concept.

Expecting reply,

Ken

@ 2006-12-30  3:01     ` Martin Atkins
From: Martin Atkins @ 2006-12-30  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Colinux is the first project I know of that has abandoned XML
config files because they were too unreadable and difficult
for users to maintain.

[They've gone back to just putting the command-line options
into a file! Not necessarily the best approach, but better than...]

Let's hope they are the first of many....

Happy New Year to all,

Martin

@ 2006-12-30  3:13       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2006-12-30  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 12/29/06, Martin Atkins <martin_ml@parvat.com> wrote:
> Colinux is the first project I know of that has abandoned XML
> config files because they were too unreadable and difficult
> for users to maintain.

yes, but earlier, ganglia dumped xml in favor of s-expressions. Also,
a little birdie in xensource told us they declined to go with xml and
stuck with sexpressions.

People are beginning to realize just how much XML sucks as a universal
description language. Too late in some cases, but we can hope.

It is quite pathetic that people all jumped on the XML bandwagon, and
then we have binary XML (!) and XML co-processors (!!) and nobody
realizes that there's something wrong with this picture (!!!).

ron

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-31  7:44         ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2006-12-31  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Dec 29, 2006, at 7:13 PM, ron minnich wrote:

> People are beginning to realize just how much XML sucks as a universal
> description language. Too late in some cases, but we can hope.

I could use all the soap at work to clean up this mess ...

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 16:00 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2006-12-21 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 10:11:39AM -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> > the GNU folks are progressively cramming as much of the system as they
> > can into bash. eventually, we're only going to have two programs.
> > bringing the two together is the Grand Unified Theory of modern unix.
>
> i wonder if they will be more successful than the physics guys?

Well, if anything, at least it does seem to put to rest the evolution
versus intelligent design debate....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] /Library/LauchAgents/9pfs.plist
@ 2006-12-21 15:11 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-12-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anothy, 9fans

i wonder if they will be more successful than the physics guys?

- erik