From: Chuck Foreman <chuckf@arcor.de>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] install "out of physical memory"
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:35:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Russ,

I found the plan9.ini on the floppy and added the kernelpercent=20...
it got up to 25% before
giving up!

I found a reference in the archives where another user speculated
about this error!
What do you think of the workaround?

........from archives 2005 July......
The major installation problem was that the system was constantly
running out of physical memory during the distmount phase. After a
bunch of hunting and exploration, it looked like the kernel was only
reporting about 3k free pages of free physical memory, with about 16k
pages of swap (approx numbers).

I managed to get the plan9 partion 'preped' with a swap, so after
copying the swap utility from the plan9 boot image (9pccd.gz) to a
shared ext2 partition i was able to use it from the plan9 install image
(9pcflop.gz) and fire up the swap file so I could successfully perform
the install.

Everything went smoothly with the install after that and I'm now
booting plan9 from the harddrive using grub. :)

After this experience, I have a feeling that either there's a bug in my
comp's mainboard which causes problems with the physical memory
calculation or (since I don't know much about the kernel yet) it has a
hardcoded max somewhere that is limiting my available memory. Any
comments on this problem or suggestions on how to fix it?

And finally, I would suggest to the iso maintainers that they put the
swap utility in the 9pcflop.gz image and some instructions in the
installation/installer to enable the swap file when it's created so
others don't have this kind of problem.