* [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24  2:19 cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-02-24  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Have tried Plan9 on Intel D945PLrn mainboard P4 Dualcore and
MP, Network and AHCI doesnt work out of the box.

ok, i try to resolve AHCI first...

the pci ids are 0x8086/0x27c0 for the SATA controller (82801GB) and
i tried to add this to the match function as Tich in sdiahci.c, but this
fails on:

if (p->mem[Abar].bar == 0)
	continue;

SATA mode is on [Enhanced] not [Legacy].

any ideas to progress further here?

This machine also fails MP. I get mpintrenable() errors for any devices
including the keyboard and then i end up on the boot prompt unable
to type anything.

mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1

cinap

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24  2:58 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-24  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Have tried Plan9 on Intel D945PLrn mainboard P4 Dualcore and
> MP, Network and AHCI doesnt work out of the box.
>
> ok, i try to resolve AHCI first...
>
> the pci ids are 0x8086/0x27c0 for the SATA controller (82801GB) and
> i tried to add this to the match function as Tich in sdiahci.c, but this
> fails on:
>
> if (p->mem[Abar].bar == 0)
> 	continue;

there's a reason for this check. :-)  if bios isn't setting up Abar, then
either you're chipset doesn't support ahci or it isn't configured for
ahci.  generally the options are Enhanced mode with Ahci enabled.
they're different for esb southbridges.

intel says that the 82801gb does not support ahci mode.
	http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm
ich7 should support your drives in *ata* mode.  you may need
to add the vid/did to sdata.c  you can double check with pci.
the device class/programming interface/subclass should be 01.06.01.
you can check for a device with the proper configuration with this
command:

	% pci|grep 'disk 01\.06\.01'

> This machine also fails MP. I get mpintrenable() errors for any devices
> including the keyboard and then i end up on the boot prompt unable
> to type anything.
>
> mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1

generally this means that your machine's mp table is broken.  you can add
	*nomp=1
to your plan9.ini file to get around this.  unfortunately, using mp interrupts
there's no easy way to replicate what this bios does in setting up the
interrupt routing on a modern machine.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24  4:22   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-02-24  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > Have tried Plan9 on Intel D945PLrn mainboard P4 Dualcore and
> > MP, Network and AHCI doesnt work out of the box.
> >
> > ok, i try to resolve AHCI first...
> >
> > the pci ids are 0x8086/0x27c0 for the SATA controller (82801GB) and
> > i tried to add this to the match function as Tich in sdiahci.c, but this
> > fails on:
> >
> > if (p->mem[Abar].bar == 0)
> > 	continue;
>
> there's a reason for this check. :-)  if bios isn't setting up Abar, then
> either you're chipset doesn't support ahci or it isn't configured for
> ahci.  generally the options are Enhanced mode with Ahci enabled.
> they're different for esb southbridges.
>
> intel says that the 82801gb does not support ahci mode.
> 	http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020644.htm
> ich7 should support your drives in *ata* mode.  you may need
> to add the vid/did to sdata.c  you can double check with pci.
> the device class/programming interface/subclass should be 01.06.01.
> you can check for a device with the proper configuration with this
> command:
>
> 	% pci|grep 'disk 01\.06\.01'

i have 2 entries in pci for disk with class/interf/subclass of:

disk 01.01.8a
disk 01.01.8f

but no 01.06.01 entries.

> > This machine also fails MP. I get mpintrenable() errors for any devices
> > including the keyboard and then i end up on the boot prompt unable
> > to type anything.
> >
> > mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1
>
> generally this means that your machine's mp table is broken.  you can add
> 	*nomp=1

yep, that works

> to your plan9.ini file to get around this.  unfortunately, using mp interrupts
> there's no easy way to replicate what this bios does in setting up the
> interrupt routing on a modern machine.

bad :-(

> - erik

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24  4:29     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-24  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > This machine also fails MP. I get mpintrenable() errors for any devices
> > > including the keyboard and then i end up on the boot prompt unable
> > > to type anything.
> > >
> > > mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1
> >
> > generally this means that your machine's mp table is broken.  you can add
> > 	*nomp=1
>
> yep, that works

then it's highly likely that your mp table is incorrect.  in bios there is often an
option for mp specification version or some such.  you want to set that to 1.4
if you have it.  unfortunately, i suspect this is not your problem.

i put a version of mp.c on sources (/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/mp.c) that
provides the file #P/mpirq which prints out the mp table irq assignments.
if you can figure out how to save this stuff automatically with mp irqs enabled,
this should have enough information to say for sure.

i feel your pain.  i have a new motherboard with some bad entries in the mp
table, too.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24  5:31       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-02-24  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 8:29 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

>  i feel your pain.  i have a new motherboard with some bad entries in the mp
>  table, too.

Not surprising. What we see, all the time, is that the mobo makers
just barely understand these tables, and usually get them quite wrong.
We've also seen cases where the MP table for one board was used,
verbatim, on a very different board. Finally, the vendors are always
willing to rewire bits of the board, but don't quite get around to
updating the table.

Short form: PC hardware is crap.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24  5:41         ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-02-24  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Short form: PC hardware is crap.

Caveat emptor.  I thought we lived in a world that aimed to please the
consumer...

++L

* [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24  6:05           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2008-02-24  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2008-Feb-23, at 21:41 , lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> Caveat emptor.  I thought we lived in a world that aimed to please the
> consumer...

There is a lot of PPC-based Apple gear coming on the used equipment
market. Considering the tight control Apple placed on the hardware,
porting the MD kernel bits has many fewer moving targets. And the lack
of hardware documentation sucks equally between the two platforms.

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24  6:16             ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-02-24  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There is a lot of PPC-based Apple gear coming on the used equipment
> market. Considering the tight control Apple placed on the hardware,
> porting the MD kernel bits has many fewer moving targets. And the lack
> of hardware documentation sucks equally between the two platforms.

That ought to be good news and I am pleased to hear it.  I presume,
but I have no experience, that there is already a growing performance
gap?  Yet you'd think something like Plan 9 would bridge that gap by
making more efficient use of the hardware (less cpu-devouring
eye-candy) and therefore would attract at least some developers.

The ways of this grave new world are so very mysterious...

++L

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24  6:34               ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2008-02-24  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 2008-Feb-23, at 22:16 , lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> That ought to be good news and I am pleased to hear it.  I presume,
> but I have no experience, that there is already a growing performance
> gap?

Sure. The Apple hardware is leaping behind the latest and greatest of
the Intel/AMD world.

And Plan 9 doesn't need to be there, either.

I have a 1.x G4 GHz Mac Mini that can't realistically keep up with
Leopard (server). But it will make a kick ass Plan 9 CPU server.

My point is that it's easier to fight the static Apple hardware, with
it's absent hardware doc, than to fight the dynamic Intel/AMD
hardware, with its/their also missing doc. At least the obsolete Apple
gear is a non-moving target, so we stand a chance ... The x86 stuff
changes on an hourly basis, and cannot be kept up with :-(

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24  6:54                 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-02-24  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My point is that it's easier to fight the static Apple hardware, with
> it's absent hardware doc, than to fight the dynamic Intel/AMD
> hardware, with its/their also missing doc. At least the obsolete Apple
> gear is a non-moving target, so we stand a chance ... The x86 stuff
> changes on an hourly basis, and cannot be kept up with :-(

We violently agree on this point.  There may be less agreement as to
how to port Plan 9 to such hardware: there seems to be a drift towards
virtualisation which of course eliminates any efficiencies (yes, I
know I'm exaggerating) contributed by Plan 9.

I think the philosophy (who said it first?) that something isn't
finished as long as there are features that can be removed - which
very clearly applies to Plan 9 - is being replaced by a culture where
Plan 9 is needed to squeeze the last teraflop out of the fastest
ultracomputing platform available at any time.  I'm not sure that even
a middle ground is possible, while it is a matter of faith that the
first philosophy will eventually triumph over the opposing culture.

Some, of course, do not see the conflict here at all.

++L

PS: You did suggest originally that there was a similarity between the
lack of documentation for Apple hardware and that for the Intel
platform.  I am pleased that you corrected that impression, the two
are different for exactly the reason you suggested.

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24 12:52                   ` david jeannot
From: david jeannot @ 2008-02-24 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>  I think the philosophy (who said it first?) that something isn't
>  finished as long as there are features that can be removed

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away."
        -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24 15:09         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-24 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>  i feel your pain.  i have a new motherboard with some bad entries in the mp
>>  table, too.
>
> Not surprising. What we see, all the time, is that the mobo makers
> just barely understand these tables, and usually get them quite wrong.
> We've also seen cases where the MP table for one board was used,
> verbatim, on a very different board. Finally, the vendors are always
> willing to rewire bits of the board, but don't quite get around to
> updating the table.
>
> Short form: PC hardware is crap.

i'm not casting aspersions.  i've had good luck with getting corrected
bios in the few times i've had trouble on server motherboards.  i
think the problem is that mp interrupts are hard and need to be
constructed at bios runtime to account for the topology of add in
cards and bridges.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24 16:48                     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-02-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: djeannot24, 9fans

> "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add,
> but when there is nothing left to take away."
>         -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thank you, I'll cherish that.  It's not from "The Little Prince", is it?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24 16:56                       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2008-02-24 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Thank you, I'll cherish that.  It's not from "The Little Prince", is it?
>
> ++L

Oops.  I got half way to making this a private message, then slipped
up :-(

++L

* Re: [9fans] Consumers? We the eeevil empire are the consumers!
@ 2008-02-24 21:31             ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2008-02-24 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> There is a lot of PPC-based Apple gear coming on the used equipment
> market.  Considering the tight control Apple placed on the hardware,
> porting the MD kernel bits has many fewer moving targets.

The bad news is that there is still a *lot* of Apple-specific hardware
which would need to be dealt with.  The PPC Macs used fairly common
graphics hardware, but the same cannot be said of disk controllers,
interrupt controllers, etc.

The reading-lamp style iMac, for example, would require support for
a "Uninorth" memory controller and PCI bridge, a "Pangea" I/O hub, a
"Keylargo" ATA controller, and so on.  Suspend/resume is vastly
different from the PC world (for better or worse).

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24 21:36       ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-02-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > > generally this means that your machine's mp table is broken.  you can add
> > > 	*nomp=1
> >
> > yep, that works
>
> then it's highly likely that your mp table is incorrect.  in bios there is often an
> option for mp specification version or some such.  you want to set that to 1.4
> if you have it.  unfortunately, i suspect this is not your problem.

here is no such option for me

> i put a version of mp.c on sources (/n/sources/contrib/quanstro/mp.c) that
> provides the file #P/mpirq which prints out the mp table irq assignments.
> if you can figure out how to save this stuff automatically with mp irqs enabled,
> this should have enough information to say for sure.

added a function to boot/boot.c that reads #P/mpirq and prints it. opening
the file works, but read() returns 0.

i have serial console connected to the machine now so here are some dumps:

boot with *nomp=1:

apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=100 ebx=21e7 esi=ffff

initial probe, to find plan9.ini...dev A0 port 1F0 config 0C5A capabilities 0F01 mwdma 0107

dev B0 port 1F0 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407

pcirouting: 8086/27D4 at pin 3 irq 11

pcirouting: 8086/27D6 at pin 4 irq 10

using sdC0!9fat!plan9.ini

.

Plan 9 Startup Menu:

====================

    1. save mode

    2. test mode

Selection[default==1]: 1

booting sdC0!9fat!9pcf

found 9pcf

.960547.....................................................................................................................+1584100.................................................................................................................................................................................................+378252=2922899

entry: 0xf0100020

Plan 9

E820: 00000000 0009fc00 memory

E820: 0009fc00 000a0000 reserved

E820: 000e0000 00100000 reserved

E820: 00100000 3fe60000 memory

E820: 3fe60000 3fee9000 acpi nvs

E820: 3fee9000 3feed000 memory

E820: 3feed000 3feff000 acpi reclaim

E820: 3feff000 3ff00000 memory

126 holes free

00018000 0009f000 552960

003cb000 10000000 264458240

265011200 bytes free

cpu0: 2999MHz GenuineIntel P4 (cpuid: AX 0x0F62 DX 0xBFEBFBFF)

ELCR: 0E00

#l0: i82557: 100Mbps port 0x1040 irq 11: 0002b397c4dd

#U/usb0: uhci: port 0x2080 irq 9

#U/usb1: uhci: port 0x2060 irq 10

#U/usb2: uhci: port 0x2040 irq 11

#U/usb3: uhci: port 0x2020 irq 11

1022M memory: 256M kernel data, 766M user, 1391M swap

root is from (tcp, local)[local!#S/sdC0/fossil]:

user[none]: glenda

time...

fossil(#S/sdC0/fossil)...version...time...

init: starting /bin/rc

pci -v:
0.0.0:	brg  06.00.00 8086/2770   0
	Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Host Bridge/DRAM Controller
0.28.0:	brg  06.04.00 8086/27d0 255
	Intel Corporation
0.28.2:	brg  06.04.00 8086/27d4  11
	Intel Corporation
0.28.3:	brg  06.04.00 8086/27d6  10
	Intel Corporation
0.29.0:	usb 0c.03.00 8086/27c8   9 4:00002081 32
	Intel Corporation
0.29.1:	usb 0c.03.00 8086/27c9  10 4:00002061 32
	Intel Corporation
0.29.2:	usb 0c.03.00 8086/27ca  11 4:00002041 32
	Intel Corporation
0.29.3:	usb 0c.03.00 8086/27cb  11 4:00002021 32
	Intel Corporation
0.30.0:	brg  06.04.01 8086/244e 255
	Intel Corporation 82801DB Hub Interface to PCI Bridge
0.31.0:	brg  06.01.00 8086/27b8   0
	Intel Corporation
0.31.1:	disk 01.01.8a 8086/27df  11 0:00000001 16 1:00000001 16 2:00000001 16 3:00000001 16 4:000020b1 16
	Intel Corporation
0.31.2:	disk 01.01.8f 8086/27c0  10 0:000020c9 16 1:000020e5 16 2:000020c1 16 3:000020e1 16 4:000020a1 16
	Intel Corporation 82801 82801 GB Serial ATA Storage Controllers
0.31.3:	smb 0c.05.00 8086/27da  10 4:00002001 32
	Intel Corporation 82801G SMBus Controller
4.0.0:	net  02.00.00 8086/1229  11 0:44021000 4096 1:00001041 64 2:44000000 131072
	Intel Corporation 82557/8/9/0/1 Fast Ethernet LAN Controller
4.1.0:	vid  03.00.00 5333/8811  11 0:40000000 67108864
	S3 Graphics Co., Ltd 8622mcq04 Trio 64/64V
4.8.0:	net  02.00.00 8086/27dc  11 0:44020000 4096 1:00001001 64
	Intel Corporation

boot without *nomp=1:

apm ax=f000 cx=f000 dx=40 di=100 ebx=21e7 esi=ffff

initial probe, to find plan9.ini...dev A0 port 1F0 config 0C5A capabilities 0F01 mwdma 0107

dev B0 port 1F0 config 85C0 capabilities 0F00 mwdma 0407

pcirouting: 8086/27D4 at pin 3 irq 11

pcirouting: 8086/27D6 at pin 4 irq 10

using sdC0!9fat!plan9.ini

.

Plan 9 Startup Menu:

====================

    1. save mode

    2. test mode

Selection[default==1]: 2

booting sdC0!9fat!9pcf.t

found 9pcf.t

.941432..................................................................................................................+1749612......................................................................................................................................................................................................................+378324=3069368

entry: 0xf0100020

Plan 9

E820: 00000000 0009fc00 memory

E820: 0009fc00 000a0000 reserved

E820: 000e0000 00100000 reserved

E820: 00100000 3fe60000 memory

E820: 3fe60000 3fee9000 acpi nvs

E820: 3fee9000 3feed000 memory

E820: 3feed000 3feff000 acpi reclaim

E820: 3feff000 3ff00000 memory

126 holes free

00018000 0009f000 552960

003ee000 10000000 264314880

264867840 bytes free

cpu0: 2999MHz GenuineIntel P4 (cpuid: AX 0x0F62 DX 0xBFEBFBFF)

ELCR: 0E00

LAPIC: fee00000 e0000000

mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1

intrenable: couldn't enable irq 1, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for kbd

ioapicirq: can't find bus type 12

mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1

intrenable: couldn't enable irq 11, tbdf 0xC040000 for ether0

#l0: i82557: 100Mbps port 0x1040 irq 11: 0002b397c4dd

iahci found 1

iahci mem[Abar].bar == 0

iahci found 1

iahci mem[Abar].bar == 0

iahci found 1

iahci mem[Abar].bar == 0

iahci found 1

iahci mem[Abar].bar == 0

iahci found 1

iahci mem[Abar].bar == 0

mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1

intrenable: couldn't enable irq 6, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for floppy

mpintrenable: out of choices -1 -1

intrenable: couldn't enable irq 4, tbdf 0xFFFFFFFF for COM1

this continues on vga screen a little bit further and gives me mpintrenable error for every
device... then boot starts, prints the empty #P/mpirq file and asks for rootfs.

the iahci stuff is just debug prints... ignore it :-)

> i feel your pain.  i have a new motherboard with some bad entries in the mp
> table, too.
>
> - erik

cinap

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24 21:57         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-02-24 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

assuming my code isn't totally broken on your machine,
it looks as if you have no mp table at all.  so either
your machine has no mp table or we are looking in the
wrong place.

since i'm a little unsure how this could be, my next
step would be to boot linux with mp interrupts to
troll dmesg for clues and compare with where we're
looking.  perhaps someone else has a better idea.

in looking at the mp spec 1.4 again
	http://download.intel.com/design/archives/processors/pro/docs/24201606.pdf
plan 9 seems to cover the cases on p. 38 in
pc/archmp.c:/^mpsearch.  i wonder if that else
shouldn't be elided.  another way for bios to
go wrong here is to report the wrong amount
of base memory.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
@ 2008-02-24 23:03           ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2008-02-24 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Linux version 2.6.19 (root@Knoppix) (gcc version 4.1.2 20061028 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-19)) #7 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 17 22:01:07 CET 2006

BIOS-provided physical RAM map:

 BIOS-e820: 0000000000000000 - 000000000009fc00 (usable)

 BIOS-e820: 000000000009fc00 - 00000000000a0000 (reserved)

 BIOS-e820: 00000000000e0000 - 0000000000100000 (reserved)

 BIOS-e820: 0000000000100000 - 000000003fe60000 (usable)

 BIOS-e820: 000000003fe60000 - 000000003fee9000 (ACPI NVS)

 BIOS-e820: 000000003fee9000 - 000000003feed000 (usable)

 BIOS-e820: 000000003feed000 - 000000003feff000 (ACPI data)

 BIOS-e820: 000000003feff000 - 000000003ff00000 (usable)

127MB HIGHMEM available.

896MB LOWMEM available.

found SMP MP-table at 000fe680

Entering add_active_range(0, 0, 261888) 0 entries of 256 used

Zone PFN ranges:

  DMA             0 ->     4096

  Normal       4096 ->   229376

  HighMem    229376 ->   261888

early_node_map[1] active PFN ranges

    0:        0 ->   261888

On node 0 totalpages: 261888

  DMA zone: 32 pages used for memmap

  DMA zone: 0 pages reserved

  DMA zone: 4064 pages, LIFO batch:0

  Normal zone: 1760 pages used for memmap

  Normal zone: 223520 pages, LIFO batch:31

  HighMem zone: 254 pages used for memmap

  HighMem zone: 32258 pages, LIFO batch:7

DMI 2.3 present.

ACPI: RSDP (v000 INTEL                                 ) @ 0x000fe020

ACPI: RSDT (v001 INTEL  D945PRN  0x00000032 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fefde48

ACPI: FADT (v001 INTEL  D945PRN  0x00000032 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fefcf10

ACPI: MADT (v001 INTEL  D945PRN  0x00000032 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fefce10

ACPI: WDDT (v001 INTEL  D945PRN  0x00000032 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fef7f90

ACPI: MCFG (v001 INTEL  D945PRN  0x00000032 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x3fef7f10

ACPI: DSDT (v001 INTEL  D945PRN  0x00000032 MSFT 0x01000013) @ 0x00000000

ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x408

ACPI: Local APIC address 0xfee00000

ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x01] lapic_id[0x00] enabled)

Processor #0 15:6 APIC version 20

ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x02] lapic_id[0x01] enabled)

Processor #1 15:6 APIC version 20

ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x03] lapic_id[0x82] disabled)

ACPI: LAPIC (acpi_id[0x04] lapic_id[0x83] disabled)

ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x01] dfl dfl lint[0x1])

ACPI: LAPIC_NMI (acpi_id[0x02] dfl dfl lint[0x1])

ACPI: IOAPIC (id[0x02] address[0xfec00000] gsi_base[0])

IOAPIC[0]: apic_id 2, version 32, address 0xfec00000, GSI 0-23

ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 0 global_irq 2 dfl dfl)

ACPI: INT_SRC_OVR (bus 0 bus_irq 9 global_irq 9 high level)

ACPI: IRQ0 used by override.

ACPI: IRQ2 used by override.

ACPI: IRQ9 used by override.

Enabling APIC mode:  Flat.  Using 1 I/O APICs

Using ACPI (MADT) for SMP configuration information

Allocating PCI resources starting at 40000000 (gap: 3ff00000:c0100000)

Detected 3000.319 MHz processor.

Built 1 zonelists.  Total pages: 259842

Kernel command line: ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt.gz nomce loglevel=0 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix BOOT_IMAGE=linux

mapped APIC to ffffd000 (fee00000)

mapped IOAPIC to ffffc000 (fec00000)

Enabling fast FPU save and restore... done.

Enabling unmasked SIMD FPU exception support... done.

Initializing CPU#0

PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 16384 bytes)

Console: colour VGA+ 80x25

Dentry cache hash table entries: 131072 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)

Inode-cache hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes)

Memory: 1031652k/1047552k available (2747k kernel code, 14636k reserved, 958k data, 336k init, 129428k highmem)

virtual kernel memory layout:

    fixmap  : 0xffe16000 - 0xfffff000   (1956 kB)

    pkmap   : 0xff800000 - 0xffc00000   (4096 kB)

    vmalloc : 0xf8800000 - 0xff7fe000   ( 111 MB)

    lowmem  : 0xc0000000 - 0xf8000000   ( 896 MB)

      .init : 0xc04a6000 - 0xc04fa000   ( 336 kB)

      .data : 0xc03aef9c - 0xc049e7b4   ( 958 kB)

      .text : 0xc0100000 - 0xc03aef9c   (2747 kB)

Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode... Ok.

Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 6005.83 BogoMIPS (lpj=12011664)

Security Framework v1.0.0 initialized

SELinux:  Disabled at boot.

Capability LSM initialized

Mount-cache hash table entries: 512

CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000 0000e43d 00000000 00000001

monitor/mwait feature present.

using mwait in idle threads.

CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K

CPU: L2 cache: 2048K

CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0

CPU: Processor Core ID: 0

CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000180 0000e43d 00000000 00000001

Compat vDSO mapped to ffffe000.

Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.

Checking for popad bug... OK.

SMP alternatives: switching to UP code

ACPI: Core revision 20060707

CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 02

SMP alternatives: switching to SMP code

Booting processor 1/1 eip 3000

Initializing CPU#1

Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 6000.75 BogoMIPS (lpj=12001508)

CPU: After generic identify, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000000 0000e43d 00000000 00000001

monitor/mwait feature present.

CPU: Trace cache: 12K uops, L1 D cache: 16K

CPU: L2 cache: 2048K

CPU: Physical Processor ID: 0

CPU: Processor Core ID: 1

CPU: After all inits, caps: bfebfbff 20100000 00000000 00000180 0000e43d 00000000 00000001

CPU1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz stepping 02

Total of 2 processors activated (12006.58 BogoMIPS).

ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs

..TIMER: vector=0x31 apic1=0 pin1=2 apic2=-1 pin2=-1

checking TSC synchronization across 2 CPUs: passed.

Brought up 2 CPUs

migration_cost=1515

checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd

Freeing initrd memory: 1188k freed

NET: Registered protocol family 16

EISA bus registered

ACPI: bus type pci registered

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at f0000000 is not E820-reserved

PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.

PCI: Using configuration type 1

Setting up standard PCI resources

ACPI: Interpreter enabled

ACPI: Using IOAPIC for interrupt routing

ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)

PCI: Probing PCI hardware (bus 00)

ACPI: Assume root bridge [\_SB_.PCI0] bus is 0

PCI quirk: region 0400-047f claimed by ICH6 ACPI/GPIO/TCO

PCI quirk: region 0500-053f claimed by ICH6 GPIO

PCI: Ignoring BAR0-3 of IDE controller 0000:00:1f.1

PCI: Firmware left 0000:04:00.0 e100 interrupts enabled, disabling

Boot video device is 0000:04:01.0

PCI: Firmware left 0000:04:08.0 e100 interrupts enabled, disabling

PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:00:1e.0

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0._PRT]

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.P32_._PRT]

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKA] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 11 12) *0, disabled.

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKD] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 *10 11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKE] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKF] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKG] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 9 10 *11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 *9 10 11 12)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX0._PRT]

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX2._PRT]

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Routing Table [\_SB_.PCI0.PEX3._PRT]

Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay

pnp: PnP ACPI init

pnp: PnP ACPI: found 11 devices

PnPBIOS: Disabled by ACPI PNP

intel_rng: FWH not detected

SCSI subsystem initialized

libata version 2.00 loaded.

PCI: Using ACPI for IRQ routing

PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq".  If it helps, post a report

NetLabel: Initializing

NetLabel:  domain hash size = 128

NetLabel:  protocols = UNLABELED CIPSOv4

NetLabel:  unlabeled traffic allowed by default

pnp: 00:06: ioport range 0x500-0x53f has been reserved

pnp: 00:06: ioport range 0x400-0x47f could not be reserved

pnp: 00:06: ioport range 0x680-0x6ff has been reserved

PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.0

  IO window: disabled.

  MEM window: 44100000-441fffff

  PREFETCH window: disabled.

PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.2

  IO window: disabled.

  MEM window: 44200000-442fffff

  PREFETCH window: disabled.

PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1c.3

  IO window: disabled.

  MEM window: 44300000-443fffff

  PREFETCH window: disabled.

PCI: Bridge: 0000:00:1e.0

  IO window: 1000-1fff

  MEM window: 40000000-440fffff

  PREFETCH window: 44400000-444fffff

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 16

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.0 to 64

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.2[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 17

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.2 to 64

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1c.3[D] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 18

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.3 to 64

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1e.0 to 64

NET: Registered protocol family 2

IP route cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)

TCP established hash table entries: 131072 (order: 8, 1572864 bytes)

TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 7, 786432 bytes)

TCP reno registered

audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)

audit(1203920643.720:1): initialized

highmem bounce pool size: 64 pages

Total HugeTLB memory allocated, 0

VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1

Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)

fuse init (API version 7.8)

fuse distribution version: 2.6.1

io scheduler noop registered

io scheduler anticipatory registered

io scheduler deadline registered (default)

io scheduler cfq registered

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.0 to 64

assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability

Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.0:pcie00]

Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.0:pcie02]

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.2 to 64

assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability

Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.2:pcie00]

Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.2:pcie02]

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1c.3 to 64

assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI capability

Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.3:pcie00]

Allocate Port Service[0000:00:1c.3:pcie02]

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...

isapnp: No Plug & Play device found

Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac

floppy0: no floppy controllers found

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 100000K size 1024 blocksize

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx

ICH7: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:1f.1

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.1[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 17

ICH7: chipset revision 1

ICH7: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later

    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x20b0-0x20b7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio

Probing IDE interface ide0...

hda: Conner Peripherals 850MB - CFS850A, ATA DISK drive

hdb: LG CD-RW CED-8080B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14

Probing IDE interface ide1...

hda: max request size: 128KiB

hda: 1664583 sectors (852 MB) w/64KiB Cache, CHS=1651/16/63

hda: cache flushes not supported

 hda: hda1

hdb: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache

Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20

ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: MAP [ P0 P2 P1 P3 ]

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.2[B] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 18

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.2 to 64

ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x20C8 ctl 0x20E6 bmdma 0x20A0 irq 18

ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x20C0 ctl 0x20E2 bmdma 0x20A8 irq 18

scsi0 : ata_piix

ata1.00: ATA-7, max UDMA/133, 312581808 sectors: LBA48 NCQ (depth 0/32)

ata1.00: ata1: dev 0 multi count 16

ata1.00: configured for UDMA/133

scsi1 : ata_piix

ATA: abnormal status 0x7F on port 0x20C7

scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      ST3160211AS      3.AA PQ: 0 ANSI: 5

SCSI device sda: 312581808 512-byte hdwr sectors (160042 MB)

sda: Write Protect is off

sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00

SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back

SCSI device sda: 312581808 512-byte hdwr sectors (160042 MB)

sda: Write Protect is off

sda: Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00

SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back

 sda: sda1 sda2

 sda1: <netbsd: sda5 sda6bad subpartition - ignored

sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda

PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:PS2K,PNP0f03:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12

serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12

mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice

EISA: Probing bus 0 at eisa.0

Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 1

Cannot allocate resource for EISA slot 2

EISA: Detected 0 cards.

Initializing XFRM netlink socket

NET: Registered protocol family 1

NET: Registered protocol family 15

Using IPI No-Shortcut mode

ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S3 S4 S5)

Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.

input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input0

logips2pp: Detected unknown logitech mouse model 1

input: PS/2 Logitech Mouse as /class/input/input1

EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).

Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs

usbcore: registered new interface driver hub

usbcore: registered new device driver usb

USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v3.0

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.0[A] -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 19

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.0 to 64

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: UHCI Host Controller

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: irq 19, io base 0x00002080

usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found

hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.1[B] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 18

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.1 to 64

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: UHCI Host Controller

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: irq 18, io base 0x00002060

usb usb2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

hub 2-0:1.0: USB hub found

hub 2-0:1.0: 2 ports detected

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.2[C] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 17

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.2 to 64

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: UHCI Host Controller

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: irq 17, io base 0x00002040

usb usb3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

hub 3-0:1.0: USB hub found

hub 3-0:1.0: 2 ports detected

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1d.3[D] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 20

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.3 to 64

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: UHCI Host Controller

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4

uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: irq 20, io base 0x00002020

usb usb4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

hub 4-0:1.0: USB hub found

hub 4-0:1.0: 2 ports detected

ohci_hcd: 2006 August 04 USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver (PCI)

usbcore: registered new interface driver libusual

usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid

drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...

usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage

USB Mass Storage support registered.

ieee1394: Initialized config rom entry `ip1394'

ieee1394: sbp2: Driver forced to serialize I/O (serialize_io=1)

ieee1394: sbp2: Try serialize_io=0 for better performance

Warning: /proc/ide/hd?/settings interface is obsolete, and will be removed soon!

Unable to identify CD-ROM format.

VFS: Can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev hda.

ReiserFS: hda: warning: sh-2021: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on hda

FAT: invalid media value (0x00)

VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev hda.

ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 3

ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

cloop: Initializing cloop v2.05

cloop: loaded (max 8 devices)

cloop: /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX: 15609 blocks, 131072 bytes/block, largest block is 131098 bytes.

cloop: loaded 256 blocks into cache.

ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A

aufs 2.6.19-20061211

Freeing unused kernel memory: 336k freed

ACPI: Power Button (FF) [PWRF]

ACPI: Sleep Button (CM) [SLPB]

Using specific hotkey driver

ACPI Exception (acpi_processor-0681): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20060707]

ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x3

ACPI Exception (acpi_processor-0681): AE_NOT_FOUND, Processor Device is not present [20060707]

ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x4

cpufreq: No nForce2 chipset.

p4-clockmod: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available

powernow: This module only works with AMD K7 CPUs

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1f.3[B] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ 18

Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave Jones

agpgart: Detected an Intel 945G Chipset.

agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0x0

Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled

serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

00:09: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

e100: Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Driver, 3.5.17-k2-NAPI

e100: Copyright(c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:00.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21

e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0x44021000, irq 21, MAC addr 00:02:B3:97:C4:DD

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:08.0[A] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 22

e100: eth1: e100_probe: addr 0x44020000, irq 22, MAC addr 00:16:76:82:D6:3D

NET: Registered protocol family 17

e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, half-duplex

e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, half-duplex

NET: Registered protocol family 10

lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

Mobile IPv6

eth0: no IPv6 routers present

device-mapper: ioctl: 4.10.0-ioctl (2006-09-14) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com

e100: eth0: e100_watchdog: link up, 100Mbps, half-duplex

ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth1: link is not ready

eth0: no IPv6 routers present

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3208 bytes --]

From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Intel ICH7 AHCI
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:57:05 -0500

@ 2008-04-23 14:22   ` John Waters
From: John Waters @ 2008-04-23 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I always thought that rio would look spectacular on an Apollo DN3500...

@ 2008-04-23  9:08 ` eekee57
From: eekee57 @ 2008-04-23  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-02-24 18:46 john
From: john @ 2008-02-24 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> My point is that it's easier to fight the static Apple hardware, with
> it's absent hardware doc, than to fight the dynamic Intel/AMD
> hardware, with its/their also missing doc. At least the obsolete Apple
> gear is a non-moving target, so we stand a chance ... The x86 stuff
> changes on an hourly basis, and cannot be kept up with :-(

Come on, folks, PPC Apple was around for how many years, and the
only port effort I know of was a university project that I'm pretty
sure never got anything released. Why do we not want to do anything
until obsolescence is guaranteed? I think I'll start a Zaurus port,
that platform has been dead long enough now. If you want to work on
a port, do sparc64, since you can still buy those machines.

John