* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 18:20 rsc
From: rsc @ 2002-05-15 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I presume that the ISO image was generated in some fashion and I
> haven't yet found out how, so please illuminate me, but mostly I'd

mk9660(8)

> be very excited to discover that 9660srv can modify an ISO image
> and retain its structure successfully, if it needs some work and
> someone wants to guide me, I'll happily help.  I did note that the
> 4ed version has some undeployed code for "removing" files where
> the 3ed version has just the "not supported" message.

This is basically impossible.  9660srv contains no provisions
for editing the file system.  ISO 9660 is very strongly meant
to be read-only.  Every file and directory is required to be laid
out as a contiguous byte sequence.  Thus, growing one would
require moving it to the end of the CD (which would leave unused
space where the file had been) or sliding the rest of the data
on the CD and fixing all the offsets.  Nothing's really impossible,
but this is just a royal pain.

You'd be much better off copying the contents of the CD to your
kfs and editing things there.

Russ

[parent not found: <20020516192637.3C3F33408A@bolivar.ugcs.caltech.edu>]
* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 20:56 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-15 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This conversation is really starting to get interesting.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2281 bytes --]

From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:50:43 -0400

> > Nothing's really impossible,
>
> It is impossible to eat the sun.

Define what you mean by ``eat the sun.''  If you mean the solar body
commonly refered to as the Earth's Sun (one of the focii about which
this planet orbits), and you mean consuming it orally its entirety,
then I agree.  However, a lot of the planet's energy comes from the
Sun, and indeed, it's commonly agreed that without said star, life on
this planet would not exist.  Therefore, nearly everything you consume
(which is typically organic in nature) contains energy from the Sun.
Therefore, any time you eat anything organic (assuming it originated on
this planet), you are in effect eatting part of the Sun, though
indirectly.

> (It may be possible to eat a SUN workstation, but that's not what I mean.)

But I bet it'd give you one hell of a stomach ache....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 18:25 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Nothing's really impossible,

It is impossible to eat the sun.  (It may be possible to eat a SUN workstation,
but that's not what I mean.)

-rob

* [9fans] Permissions, again
@ 2002-05-15 15:22 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-05-15 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm obviously too off-tune to understand Plan 9's permission scheme,
it keeps catching me out.  I suppose the lack of "root" to solve
all problems does require a clearer understanding and I'm notoriously
slow.

I haven't yet installed 4ed but I've been having a good look at
the distribution and especially the man pages.  There's a lot of
exciting stuff in there.

In my exuberance, I thought I'd install the ISO image as a file
and access it using 9660srv(1) which is a very handy way indeed to
read the various documents etc.

Where I failed, was when I thought I'd alter something (I forget
what) on the image.  Now, I have no idea how complicated it is to
manage an ISO image (specially one with multiplicates :-) but it
would have been so nice to be able to do it that I really regretted
receiving a "permission denied" or somesuch.

Naturally, I did attempt to tidy up all the permissions (I see Rob
owns more or less all the image contents) as well as the underlying
ones (I was using disk/kfs at the time) but that was quite
unsuccessful.

I presume that the ISO image was generated in some fashion and I
haven't yet found out how, so please illuminate me, but mostly I'd
be very excited to discover that 9660srv can modify an ISO image
and retain its structure successfully, if it needs some work and
someone wants to guide me, I'll happily help.  I did note that the
4ed version has some undeployed code for "removing" files where
the 3ed version has just the "not supported" message.

Back to permissions, it may be just something in the way I set
things up that blocked my use of 9660srv, so a short lesson on
layered permissions would be welcome:

	% cd /dist/Plan9/4ed
	% bunzip2 < plan9.iso.bz2 > plan9.iso
	% 9660srv
	% mount -c /srv/9660srv /n/kremvax plan9.iso
	% cd /n/kremvax/sys/src/cmd

this is from memory.  What would it take to allow me to edit a file
or create a directory at this point?

++L