* [9fans] Raspberry Pi: cpu and remote root
@ 2013-01-19 17:17 Tobias Kreisel
From: Tobias Kreisel @ 2013-01-19 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi everyone,

Richard’s recent rpi port made me explore plan9 again and
I think I am slowly getting the hang of things. Currently there
are two aspects I wonder about:

1. I have two rpis. One configured as a terminal, the other as
   a cpu server (each using the templates on the fat partition).
   When logged in at the terminal (as glenda) I connect to the
   cpu server via

   cpu -h <ip address> -u pi

   and end up with a 'helix#' prompt. However, when trying
   to run a graphical program like 'sam' I get the error message:

   sam: can't create temp file: '/tmp/Z291.pisam' permission denied

   Of course I know that it is not much use to have computations
   of one rpi be done by another. I am simply trying to experience
   a genuine plan9 mode of operation.

   In Brian Kernighan’s README (
http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/2nd_edition/README)
   there a paragraph titled "The CPU Server" which I believe is
   what I am looking for, but I wasn’t able to replicate it on the
   rpi.

2. What do I need to do in order to have a rpi (configured as
   terminal) get its root remotely? I.e. at boot there is a prompt

   root is from (local, tcp)[local]:

   where I gave the ip address of another rpi (configured as a
   cpu server). But that did not work.

Thanks for your reading this far,
Tobias