* [9fans] acme bug
@ 2004-10-19 20:35 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2004-10-19 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Consider the 3-line range

xxx
special
yyy

after applying the sam-command

x g/special/ {
#top
.
#bottom
.
}

In sam, I get the result

xxx
#top
special
#bottom
yyy

which is what I expect.  If I try the same in acme, however, extra
blank lines are displayed.  What's worse is that acme's internal data
structure seems to be corrupted; if I Put and then Get, the file is cut
off after the second line.

Note: I've observed this only on the Unix acme, and I'm not currently
able to test on Plan 9.

* Re: [9fans] acme bug
@ 2004-10-20 13:43 ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-10-20 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Note: I've observed this only on the Unix acme, and I'm not currently
> able to test on Plan 9.

the same behaviour happens in plan 9 too. definitely looks
like a bug.

a simple workaround is to use:

x g/special/ {
i/#top\n/
a/#bottom\n/
}

instead, which seems to work ok.

* Re: [9fans] acme bug
@ 2004-11-09 21:36   ` Rob Pike
From: Rob Pike @ 2004-11-09 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This one is easy. In src/cmd/acme/edit.c, after the line
in collecttext() that reads
		s->r[s->n-2] = '\0';
add a line
		s->n -= 2;
Sam has zero-terminated strings, acme doesn't.  This
was a porting bug.  This needs fixing in Plan 9 as well
as plan9port.

-rob

* [9fans] acme bug
@ 2003-02-28 22:08 Micah Stetson
From: Micah Stetson @ 2003-02-28 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is absolutely consistent on my system:
1. Open acme.bug (attached) or any file with three or more CRLF terminated
    lines
2. Button 2 on 'Edit ,x/
/d' (that's ,x/<CR>/d if your mailer messes it up)
3. A +Errors window opens with this message: elogapply: can't happen 4 4 3

I updated from sources this morning.  I'm not sure how long this
behavior has been there, I just noticed it yesterday looking at some
DOS text files.  I should probably have hunted down the problem, but I
figured it would be so obvious to somebody here that I would just be
wasting time.

Thanks,

Micah

The following attachment had content that we can't
prove to be harmless.  To avoid possible automatic
execution, we changed the content headers.
The original header was:

[-- Attachment #2.2: acme.bug.suspect --]

* Re: [9fans] acme bug
@ 2003-02-28 19:24 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-28 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I know what's wrong but I think it's going to be a pain to fix.

* [9fans] acme bug
@ 2000-12-24 22:34 rob pike
From: rob pike @ 2000-12-24 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ found a stupid bug in the new Acme edit feature, a failure to
convert some Sam code properly.  The bug is that Acme crashes
instead of just complaining in certain ordinary circumstances.
The fix is trivial: change calls to error into calls to editerror.
This diff might not be exactly right for the released source, but
it'll be close enough to figure out what to do:

acme% diff -n /n/dump/2000/1224/sys/src/cmd/acme/ecmd.c ecmd.c
/n/dump/2000/1224/sys/src/cmd/acme/ecmd.c:570 c ecmd.c:570
< 		error("no name specified for 'w' command");
---
> 		editerror("no name specified for 'w' command");
/n/dump/2000/1224/sys/src/cmd/acme/ecmd.c:956 c ecmd.c:956
< 				error("address");
---
> 				editerror("address");
/n/dump/2000/1224/sys/src/cmd/acme/ecmd.c:965 c ecmd.c:965
< 				error("address");
---