* [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-25 13:38 Ruslan Khusnullin
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-02-25 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Considering how difficult it is to find a new usb mouse with 3 real
buttons I'm looking for workarounds. I have a Contour Mouse Perfit and
I enjoy it a lot but buying a new Contour Mouse is expensive and very
difficult in terms of shipping when you live in Russia, Contour just
don't ship it.

I see there are few new "touch scroll" mice in stores and one of them
Logitech T400 looks not bad to me. Unfortunately they don't have wired
version but the "touch scroll" feels like a "styled 3rd button".

Did anyone had a chance to test Logitech T400 mouse? Does it's middle
"touch scroll" work as a normal B2? Does it react on soft accidental
touch? Is it configurable?

Thanks in advance.

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-25 14:06 ` Alexander Kapshuk
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexander Kapshuk @ 2013-02-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I stumbled upon this one a while back. Never used one though. Been
using a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel. Does the job.
 http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2545791

@ 2013-02-25 14:21   ` Dustin Fechner
From: Dustin Fechner @ 2013-02-25 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 02/25/2013 03:06 PM, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> I stumbled upon this one a while back. Never used one though. Been
> using a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel. Does the job.
>  http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2545791

I bought one of these and after one month of use the buttons began to
misbehave. But well, I guess one can't expect too much for that price.

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and
@ 2013-02-25 14:32 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-02-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Monday, February 25, 2013 2:38:40 PM UTC+1, Ruslan Khusnullin wrote:

> Considering how difficult it is to find a new usb mouse with 3 real buttons

The HP DY651A is such a mouse and is still available, for example at Amazon. Is that an option for you?

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and
@ 2013-02-25 14:50 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-02-25 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> >  http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2545791
>

> I bought one of these and after one month of use the buttons began to
>
> misbehave. But well, I guess one can't expect too much for that price.

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you find an alternative?

I bought my two DY651A's two years ago, and they still function perfectly well.

Mark.

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-25 15:47     ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2013-02-25 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Off-topic, but..

What works well for me (on a 2 button + scroll wheel mouse) is using my
index finger for both buttons 1 and 2. So if I want to chord 1+2 I press 1,
pressing near the rightmost edge of the button, then sort of roll my finger
to the right a bit which presses down the scroll wheel. It might sound
awkward but it actually works nicely (for me, anyway) on most mice with
scroll wheels.

After getting used to this, using all three fingers for chording actually
feels really inconvenient :)

@ 2013-02-25 15:52   ` Dustin Fechner
From: Dustin Fechner @ 2013-02-25 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 02/25/2013 03:50 PM, Mark van Atten wrote:

>>>  http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2545791
>>
>> I bought one of these and after one month of use the buttons began to
>> misbehave. But well, I guess one can't expect too much for that price.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that. Did you find an alternative?

Yes. I'm using the Evoluent 3 Rev. 2 since then. I think this mouse is
well known here.

> I bought my two DY651A's two years ago, and they still function perfectly well.

Maybe mine was somehow defect or my clicks were too hard, who knows :)

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-25 19:17   ` Ruslan Khusnullin
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-02-25 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM, Alexander Kapshuk
<alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I stumbled upon this one a while back. Never used one though. Been
> using a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel. Does the job.
Using a mouse with a scroll wheel about 10 hours a day results in pain
in my hand, especially in middle finger. Also using a scroll wheel
needs some additional accuracy and attention for just pushing it and
not scrolling.

>  http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/2545791
I saw this mouse many times and almost bought it but decided to try
Contour Mouse. After trying Contour I don't want to use a mouse of
this classical form, T400 looks a little more comfortable and
ergonomic.

If you will be able to use T400 in real life could you please share
your expirience?

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-25 19:24       ` Ruslan Khusnullin
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-02-25 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM, Jeremy Jackins <jeremyjackins@gmail.com> wrote:
> Off-topic, but..
>
> What works well for me (on a 2 button + scroll wheel mouse) is using my
> index finger for both buttons 1 and 2. So if I want to chord 1+2 I press 1,
> pressing near the rightmost edge of the button, then sort of roll my finger
> to the right a bit which presses down the scroll wheel. It might sound
> awkward but it actually works nicely (for me, anyway) on most mice with
> scroll wheels.
>
> After getting used to this, using all three fingers for chording actually
> feels really inconvenient :)
Sounds weird and tricky but I will definitely take a try, thank you! I
had a Logitech M100 mouse with a scroll wheel supporting "horizontal
scroll" so pushing a wheel this way is not possible.
What about B2+B1 chord?

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and
@ 2013-02-25 19:27   ` Ruslan Khusnullin
From: Ruslan Khusnullin @ 2013-02-25 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Mark van Atten
<mark.vanatten@univ-paris1.fr> wrote:
> On Monday, February 25, 2013 2:38:40 PM UTC+1, Ruslan Khusnullin wrote:
>
>> Considering how difficult it is to find a new usb mouse with 3 real buttons
>
> The HP DY651A is such a mouse and is still available, for example at Amazon. Is that an option for you?
I doubt it's comfortable for intensive usage. Especially after trying
Contour Mouse. Are you comfortable with it?

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-25 19:29     ` Robert Raschke
From: Robert Raschke @ 2013-02-25 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I've been using one of these:
Lenovo 3 button scrollpoint USB mouse
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/itemdetails/31P7405/460/0E80436C80A748E6AA76791FC42C9CA3

It has been very reliable and comfortable to use.

Robby

@ 2013-02-25 20:48         ` yy
From: yy @ 2013-02-25 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 25 February 2013 20:24, Ruslan Khusnullin <ruslan.khusnullin@gmail.com>wrote:

> had a Logitech M100 mouse with a scroll wheel supporting "horizontal
> scroll" so pushing a wheel this way is not possible.
> What about B2+B1 chord?

It should not be difficult to map the scroll left button to B2. I've done
it in p9p's acme and it's even better than 3 button mice.

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and Plan9port Acme
@ 2013-02-26  5:55         ` Jeremy Jackins
From: Jeremy Jackins @ 2013-02-26  5:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Ruslan Khusnullin <
ruslan.khusnullin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds weird and tricky but I will definitely take a try, thank you! I
> had a Logitech M100 mouse with a scroll wheel supporting "horizontal
> scroll" so pushing a wheel this way is not possible.
> What about B2+B1 chord?
B2+B1 also works fine this way. I'm resting my finger in the crook between
the scroll wheel and B1, and my (not particularly dextrous)  finger doesn't
have any trouble pressing first with it's right edge and then with the rest
of the finger.

* Re: [9fans] Logitech T400 mouse with Plan9 and
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-02-26  9:49 ` Mark van Atten
From: Mark van Atten @ 2013-02-26  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> > The HP DY651A is such a mouse and is still available, for example at Amazon. Is that an option for you?
>
> I doubt it's comfortable for intensive usage. Especially after trying
>
> Contour Mouse. Are you comfortable with it?

Yes, especially because it's large and so are my hands.

But should an occasion come up to replace it, I'll be interested to try the Evoluent vertical mouse as well.

Mark.