* [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
@ 2006-07-29 14:48 csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-29 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I have been running a fossil only Plan 9 installation for a bit now,
without troubles. Today I decided for the second time (after failing
already the first time) to try to install a fossil+venti system - but
cannot report success. I closely followed the installation instructions on
the wiki, but after reboot, I get the following errors:

	fossil(#S/sdC1-fossil)...warning: connecting to venti: '/net/net/clone'
file does not exist
	version...time...

	init: starting /bin/rc
	flushthread found nothing to flush - 1 dirty
	ventiSend vtWrite block 0xa failed: not connected to venti server
	archWalk 0xa failed; ptr is in 0x7 offset 0
	archWalk 0x7 failed; ptr is in 0x5 offset 0
	archWalk 0xae71 failed; ptr is in 0xae70 offset 0
	archWalk 0xae70 failed; ptr is in 0xae6f offset 0
	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server

et caetera... What have I done wrong? and how can I fix it? Is it a
problem on my hardware, or of the installation? If the latter is the case,
is it a problem in the installer, or in the instructions? I could fix the
latter, once I'd know how to do it right. :)

Any help greatly appreciated.
/c

* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
@ 2006-07-29 15:23 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-07-29 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, 9fans

are you specifying your venti server as net!localhost!venti?
if so, just droping the -a flag or the ventiaddr in the configuration
file should work.

- erik

@ 2006-07-29 15:56   ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-29 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erik quanstrom, 9fans

> are you specifying your venti server as net!localhost!venti?
Hmm, I just followed the installation, step by step - and it didn't
mention anything about needing to specify that. Where would I find it?

> if so, just droping the -a flag or the ventiaddr in the configuration
> file should work.
Silly question: which configuration file? :)

* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
@ 2006-07-29 17:59     ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-29 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> are you specifying your venti server as net!localhost!venti?
> Hmm, I just followed the installation, step by step - and it didn't
> mention anything about needing to specify that. Where would I find it?
>
>> if so, just droping the -a flag or the ventiaddr in the configuration
>> file should work.
> Silly question: which configuration file? :)

Trying to find some way to solve this. A few things seem to be missing in
the wiki? I have tried the following, but still have doubts:
* I created a venti.conf file in my home directory (there was no other
venti.conf anywhere)
* I set the environment variable
	% venti=*my_ip_address*
* I started venti with venti/venti from my home directory
--> I still keep getting the
	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server
error messages.

I tried the following (from the setting up venti section on the wiki):
	% vac -f /tmp/x.vac /adm
I get a few permission denied messages; then I
	% vacfs /tmp/x.vac
	% ls -l /n/vac
as per instruction, and I get a listing
	d-rwxrwxr-x M 30 adm sys 0 Jul 29 12:25 /n/vac/adm

Does this mean venti is working?
However, I still get all the
	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server
errors. I don't know how to procede, or what I am doing wrong.

* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
@ 2006-07-29 18:17       ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>> are you specifying your venti server as net!localhost!venti?
>> Hmm, I just followed the installation, step by step - and it didn't
>> mention anything about needing to specify that. Where would I find it?
>>
>>> if so, just droping the -a flag or the ventiaddr in the configuration
>>> file should work.
>> Silly question: which configuration file? :)
>
> Trying to find some way to solve this. A few things seem to be missing
> in the wiki? I have tried the following, but still have doubts:
> * I created a venti.conf file in my home directory (there was no other
> venti.conf anywhere)
> * I set the environment variable
> 	% venti=*my_ip_address*
> * I started venti with venti/venti from my home directory
> --> I still keep getting the
> 	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server
> error messages.
>
> I tried the following (from the setting up venti section on the wiki):
> 	% vac -f /tmp/x.vac /adm
> I get a few permission denied messages; then I
> 	% vacfs /tmp/x.vac
> 	% ls -l /n/vac
> as per instruction, and I get a listing
> 	d-rwxrwxr-x M 30 adm sys 0 Jul 29 12:25 /n/vac/adm
>
> Does this mean venti is working?
> However, I still get all the
> 	archiveBlock 0xae6f: not connected to Venti server
> errors. I don't know how to procede, or what I am doing wrong.

One more attempt: I'd be glad to know if I am heading into the right
direction:
* I added
	venti=/dev/sdC1/arenas
to my plan9.ini, and now it started up without error messages. From
/dev/kmesg I read, after entering my user name:
	time...
	venti...err 2: arenas creation time after last write time
	fossil(#S/sdC1/fossil)...version...time...

	init: starting /bin/rc
	ndb/dns: can't read my ip address
and then I could start my normal session. There is a huge disc activity
now: is it syncing the arenas with the fossil? Am I getting something
right? :)

@ 2006-07-29 18:19       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-07-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, 9fans

Venti.conf should live on the first block of the venti filesystem,
written there using venti/conf. In a similar way the fossil config
should live in the first block of the fossil file system, written
by fossil/conf.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
@ 2006-07-29 18:24         ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2006-07-29 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: csant, 9fans

> Am I getting something right? :)

Sounds good, the first time fossil dumps itself to venti will take ages,
hours, after that dumps are effectlvely incremental so they are very quick.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] fossil+venti installation troubles
@ 2006-07-29 18:41           ` csant
From: csant @ 2006-07-29 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Simon, 9fans

>> Am I getting something right? :)
>
> Sounds good, the first time fossil dumps itself to venti will take ages,
> hours, after that dumps are effectlvely incremental so they are very
> quick.
Thanks for the heads up - sounds promising.
As far as I can tell, the missing part in the wiki is to add the line
	venti=/dev/sdC1/arenas
(or whichever disk you have your arenas on) to your plan9.ini - am I
right? I'll procede to correcting that, but I'd love to have somebody
confirming that first.