From: john@csplan9.rit.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] installing extra software
Date: Wed,  4 Jul 2007 06:53:27 -1000	[thread overview]

> Hello. I have just installed plan9 on a micronpc millennia rs-2100 with 64MB Ram and a !8GB Hard drive. I hope that the information helps out some. I am having to burn CD's at one computer and bring them to the Plan9 box. This is not a problem. However, I do not know how to compile software for plan 9 and would like a link to a simple tutorial. I understand the basics of Linux and FreeBSD. I hope that any information I have given will be of some assistance.
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> Obrigado e tchau

It's pretty easy to compile software on Plan 9. Just get the tarball and
unpack it. There's usually a mkfile in the base directory of the source
tar, so just running 'mk' is usually sufficient. If there's a README, read
it.

Now, if you just have a foo.c file, just do this:
8c foo.c
8l foo.8
and find the executable in ./8.out. You can then install it by
copying it to $home/bin/386/ or /bin.

John