From: <vdharani@infernopark.com>
To: <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Boot floppy
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:52:11 -0500	[thread overview]

dave,

> The following should be enough to make a boot floppy:
>
> disk/format -b /386/pbs -df /dev/fd0disk /386/9load /tmp/plan9.ini
>
> Just make sure that /tmp/plan9.ini has
>
> ether0=type=<whatever>
> bootfile=ether0

that helped. thanks.

however, i have two questions:

1. i have intel 82559ER (i think) cards. if i am right, the boot code
recognizes only 82557 cards. so dhcp/tftp works only for 82557 cards. it
doesnt work for 82559/82559ER cards etc. what is the problem? is it too
tough to fix it? given that intel cards are widely used and available
(including on-board ethernet ports), can we make all 82557/8/9 ethernet
ports get recognized during boot time?

for now, i have added the kernel 9pcdisk in the floppy itself. it boots
from the floppy, then does dhcp to get the ip address and proceeds from
there.

2. once the configuration settles, i want to burn a bootable CD image for
booting 9 terminal right from the CD instead of floppy. is it possible? how
can i do it?

thanks
dharani