From: Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] An Observation
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 22:33:47 -0800	[thread overview]

On Nov 14, 2008, at 8:38 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> There are those that say too many cooks spoil the broth.
>
> This isn't our problem.
>
> Our problem is that we have a kitchen full of food critics attempting
> to direct the cooks.

Ok, since I happen to be on a soul searching expedition today -- I'll
bite.
And then, I promise to shut up.

To me, personally, the problem is not that we have too many cooks
or critics. The problems is much more closely related to the lack
of chefs (as was very aptly pointed out earlier in this thread).

Now, when I say that we lack chefs I don't really mean a benevolent
dictator who, with an iron fist, would move projects in this community
forward. I don't mind it, actually, but that's not what I'm personally
interested in a chef.

I need guidance.

In fact, at this point in my professional career, I would crawl over
the broken
glass to have the opportunity of being even a lowly precook for a
smart chef.

May be you guys over at the labs (all three of them) still have that,
but
I don't. Sun used to be the place where we had lots and lots of good
chefs and the quality of hallway conversation alone would put some
seminars to shame. But we lost it. Most of the chefs are gone, and those
who are staying are much more likely to talk about their 401k plans
that anything else.

I still remember how when I first got exposed to Plan9 and subscribed
to this
list I had a question. And I posted it. But not only did I get an answer
I had Dennis Ritchie himself commenting on my logic. It was a short
comment. But it helped more that a 1000+ FAQ. He didn't asked me
to show the code or implement anything, he simply wrote a paragraph
of text.

This was very common on this list back then. And I fear that we are
loosing
it. Sure, everybody's busy and we all have to deal with trolls, but if
this
list degenerates into a place for "how do I..." and "why doesn't it..."
questions then we have a problem. I have a problem, at least. Since
the last place where I can run ideas by friendly people who are usually
10 times smarter than I would cease to exist.

Does it always take a chef to be able to sustain that kind of a
conversion?
Surely not. Though it helps to be a chef in order to make or break
the idea with a single paragraph. Reagardless of your status, just try
not to spare commas. As in: when you say "I wasn't aware of anyone
looking
for this particular functionality" add a comma. Regarless of what
follows, be it ", but it sounds like a really nice idea" or ", on top
of that
this is the stupidest idea I have ever heard" -- it is bound to be
better
than: "We look forward to your server implementation(s)".

Thanks,
Roman.