Well. We just found that removing snarf from rio fsys makes things work great wrt sharing the snarf buffer across machines. At first, we thought that if was enough to call open(OTRUNC) while copying to the snarf buffer, then we noticed the deadlock with the open("/dev/snarf") in rio, then we tried removing snarf from rio, and, voila. Either I'm crazy because of the lots of coffee I have been drinking, or there is something I'm missing regarding why rio has snarf builtin instead of using a regular file for that. Hope my question was more clear now. cheers